Former Brent councillor banned over ‘cash-for-homes’ scandal plans to appeal decision
Atiq Malik, ex-Conservative representative for Queensbury, vows to fight ban
A controversial politician who has been banned by the Standards Board for England (SBE) from standing as a councillor for five years plans to lodge an appeal.
Atiq Malik, who served as a Conservative councillor for the Queensbury ward between 2006 and 2010, was disqualified after he duped a resident into paying him �3,000 in exchange for a council house.
Last week, a SBE hearing, which he had not attended, were told the 48-year-old gave Shahzad Akhtar the impression that as a councillor he would be able to obtain a council flat for him in Colindale in exchange for money.
The father-of-four, controversially defected from the Conservative Party to the Democratic Conservative Group, a splinter party he set up with fellow former Tory ward councillor Robert Dunwell, and has blogged on a website that he believed Sharia Law should be an option in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
Under the law, which is enforced in several Muslim countries, unmarried women who had sex or married woman who have affairs should be whipped.
He told the Times: “I have done nothing wrong. I will be appealing the decision.”
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 3 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 4 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 5 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 6 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 7 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 8 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 9 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds