Drivers warned following spate of number plate thefts
Drivers are being advised to use a £2 kit to secure their registration plates following a spate of thefts including three in Kingsbury.
The same gang are believed to be behind number plates snatched in Rookery Way, where a black Audi A3, a blue Ford Fiesta and a Citroën C4 were targeted on March 18 and 19.
A further two thefts occurred in Hendon and Mill Hill and an unsuccessful attempt took place in Golders Green on March 23.
The gang could go on to use the plates to commit a string of offences including driving away from petrol stations without paying, avoiding the London congestion charge, evading speed camera and red-light traffic camera fines, avoiding police recognition systems of out-of-date insurance or MOT and more serious crimes.
Sergeant Jane Tuffin, investigating officer, said: “Thieves only need one minute to steal number plates. Luckily, there is a simple solution as there are various types of anti theft number-plate fixers which are available for as little as £2 per set. They are available from most motoring supplier centres and these fixers frustrate the theft as they require a specific tool to remove the plates and take longer to remove.
“This simple step can save motorists time and money in reporting the theft, obtaining new plates and dealing with the issues that arise from any potential subsequent unlawful use of the stolen plates.”
- 1 'London’s smallest bus lane' earns Harrow Council £440,000
- 2 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following Maida Vale deaths
- 4 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 5 'London is lagging behind – protect yourself and others from Covid'
- 6 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
- 7 Brent LTN removal set to be financed from 'existing council budgets'
- 8 Residents lose appeal to save Brent leisure centre
- 9 Wembley man who used child to sell drugs due in court
- 10 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley