Dollis Hill conman jailed for five years over pensioner scam
- Credit: Archant
A man from Dollis Hill has been jailed for five years for scamming 26 pensioners out of thousands of pounds.
Hamza Ali, 23, of Gladstone Park Gardens, was arrested at Luton airport last year after taking a friend on an all-expenses-paid trip to Italy.
He was caught after phoning a Kent woman in her 70s and posing as a Met officer. He told her to put her belongings, about £20,000 worth of jewellery and her debit card, in a plastic bag and leave it outside her door for an officer to collect.
A few days later the victim received another call from Ali to authorise two payments as part of the investigation but Ali was actually inside a shop attempting to buy trainers.
He admitted conspiracy to commit fraud and was sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court on Monday, along with courier Dujuane Mezu of Islington.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Annie Clayton said they “showed no remorse for their involvement.”
- 1 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 2 QPR boss Warburton praises hard-working Dykes
- 3 Wembley Stadium wins approval to hold more events
- 4 Brent mother of murdered schoolboy Quamari urges public to report knife crime
- 5 Brent Council to issue water bill refunds to council tenants
- 6 Brent arts organisations awarded over £1m in Covid recovery funding
- 7 Dykes double helps QPR defeat Sheffield Wednesday
- 8 Two 17-year-old boys shot and stabbed in Kingsbury
- 9 Six years ago today, it was knocked down - next week the Carlton reopens
- 10 I tabled my own alternative Coronavirus (No 2) Bill