Dollis Hill conman jailed for five years over pensioner scam
- Credit: Archant
A man from Dollis Hill has been jailed for five years for scamming 26 pensioners out of thousands of pounds.
Hamza Ali, 23, of Gladstone Park Gardens, was arrested at Luton airport last year after taking a friend on an all-expenses-paid trip to Italy.
He was caught after phoning a Kent woman in her 70s and posing as a Met officer. He told her to put her belongings, about £20,000 worth of jewellery and her debit card, in a plastic bag and leave it outside her door for an officer to collect.
A few days later the victim received another call from Ali to authorise two payments as part of the investigation but Ali was actually inside a shop attempting to buy trainers.
He admitted conspiracy to commit fraud and was sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court on Monday, along with courier Dujuane Mezu of Islington.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Annie Clayton said they “showed no remorse for their involvement.”
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 5 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 6 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 7 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 10 Summer in the City: Five things to do in Brent this weekend