Disabled blue badge fraud doubles in Brent
- Credit: Archant
The number of people who forged or misused blue badge parking permits over the past year has more than doubled, figures show.
The number of drivers committing disabled blue badge fraud in Brent has more than doubled compared to last year.
Brent Council’s identified 26 cases of fraud between April last year and this January – 14 more than in the same time frame 12 months before.
A total of 10 people were issued with fines of up to £1,000 for cheating the system which allows them to park for free or on a single yellow line without fear of being issued with a ticket.
Cheats include Lucy Lusinde, 40, of Century House in Forty Lane, Wembley, who was fined £750 after being caught using her son’s badge to park for free while he was at school.
You may also want to watch:
The highest fine, which has not been disclosed, was given to an individual who was caught using his grandfather’s badge with a forged expiry date to park for work purposes.
Two more culprits were given a police caution and a further 14 were handed warning letters.
- 1 Behind Closed Doors: The high number of Brent evictions
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 Man admits murdering waiter in Kilburn 38 years ago
- 4 Two men arrested in connection with Jeffrey Wegby killing
- 5 Pensioner slams Brent Council over 'hell' housing
- 6 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 7 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 8 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 9 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 10 Charlie Cooper guides Wealdstone to victory at King's Lynn Town
A council spokesman said: “We will seek the toughest penalties for offenders who are prosecuted. Please tell us if you think someone is misusing a badge or using a false or altered badge.”
If you suspect somebody is using a false or altered blue badge call Brent Council on 0800 937 777 or email email@example.com