Devastated mother of Wembley murder victim lost his twin brother to cancer at the age 13
- Credit: Archant
The mother of a man who was stabbed to death in Wembley has spoken about her family’s grief after his murderer was jailed for life today.
Dean Gabay knifed 26-year-old Arron Payne as he walked in Chalkhill Road, on September 4 last year.
The 23-year-old had already served 21 months in jail for the manslaughter of Janusz Krason who died after he was attacked by him in Neasden in 2008.
Today at the Old Bailey Gabay was jailed for life with a minimum tariff of 25 years.
Mr Payne’s death is a double tragedy for his devastated family after his twin brother Antone died from cancer at the age of 13.
You may also want to watch:
He was buried beside his brother.
Monica Campbell, Mr Payne’s mother said: “Our son Arron Henry Payne was wise beyond his years. He had grown into a true gentleman. He was hard working, spoke his mind and despite the loss of his twin brother, Antone, at the age of 13 he overcame considerable odds.
- 1 Indian food store opens second outlet in Kensal Green
- 2 Queen's Park schoolboy loses leukaemia fight
- 3 Man taken to hospital following fire in Willesden
- 4 Woman and child in hospital after carbon monoxide leak in Harlesden
- 5 Harlesden couple launch mobile musical funerals during Covid
- 6 Reward offered after drone stolen in Wembley
- 7 Vaccine bus launched in Brent to increase take up
- 8 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 9 Female-only massage clinic opens in Harlesden
- 10 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
“Our family had to deal with the death of Arron’s brother Antone which was beyond our control. Arron however has been taken from us. We had no time to prepare and his death has shaken every single one of us to the very core and turned our lives upside down.
“An act of senseless violence by a man hell bent on revenge has put us here and although this finding of guilt will not bring Arron back, it at least brings closure for us after a long and arduous 12 months of hurt. We hope now we can grieve in peace.”
In a further cruel twist, Mr Payne and his family believed he was on the mend when medics at St Mary’s Hospital discharged him eight days after he was stabbed.
But he died in his father Keith Payne’s arms minutes later in a toilet in the hospital.
A post-mortem gave the cause of death as haemorrhaging as a result of a stab wound.
Ms Campbell said: “Keith and I have lost our son, Adrian has lost his brother and Hannah her future husband. We will endeavour to try and rebuild our lives, but Arron has been taken from us too early and we will simply never fully recover. Our lives will never be the same again.
“Arron was bright, articulate and a joy to be around, we are all lost without him.
“This tragedy has not torn us apart but has made our family unit stronger.”
DCI Andy Partridge, investigating officer, said: “Arron Payne was a decent hardworking young man, raised within a close-knit family and with an exciting future ahead of him.
“On any view, the attack on Arron was a senseless and cowardly act. Whilst no sentence imposed can make amends for their tragic loss, I hope that this conviction will provide some small degree of solace to Arron’s family and friends.
“I wish to pay tribute to Arron’s family who have shown immense courage and dignity since his tragic death last September.”