Cricklewood man admits firing a shotgun as police tried to arrest him

Mark Bryan will be sentenced in November

Mark Bryan will be sentenced in November - Credit: Archant

A man from Cricklewood has admitted firing a sawn off shotgun in the direction of police officers as they tried to arrest him on Valentine’s Day

One officer suffered minor injuries as they tried to apprehend Mark Anthony Bryan at the scene in West Hendon on February 14.

They officers, from the Met’s armed response units, had been alerted to reports of shots being fired from a balcony at Franklin House.

The 48-year-old, of Topaz Walk, was also injured and was hospitalised until April 7.

Last week at Woolwich Crown Court he pleased guilty to:

You may also want to watch:

Possession of a prohibited weapon (sawn off shotgun);

Possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence - shots off the balcony into the street;

Most Read

Possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence - shots in the presence of the police officers; and

Possession of a firearm with intent to resist or prevent arrest.

He will be sentenced in November.

Detective Inspector Glenn Butler, of the Trident and Area Crime Command, said: “This was a frightening incident for the officers involved, who were confronted by a man in possession of a sawn off shotgun.

“This brings into focus the dangers firearm officers are faced with. They have to make split second decisions in stressful situations.

“This was also a frightening situation for the local residents in and around Franklyn House.”

The circumstances of the incident are currently being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter