Cricklewood car wash owner jailed after worker electrocuted in rat-infested staff accommodation
- Credit: Google
A Cricklewood car wash owner has been jailed after an employee was electrocuted while showering in squalid rat-infested housing he provided for workers.
Sandu Laurentiu died inside the dilapidated, cramped accommodation set up for Romanian workers by 52-year-old Shaip Nimani behind Bubbles Carwash he owned in Bethnal Green, east London.
The Old Bailey heard the shower had been wired up with no earth connection and unauthorised modifications had been made to it.
In addition Nimani had bypassed the electricity meter in the wet property to avoid bills, and had also interfered with the wiring to prevent the fuses blowing from an overload of plugs.
Officers spoke to five other men who lived and worked with Mr Laurentiu at the car wash and discovered they had all regularly suffered electric shocks while showering but thought that was the norm.
You may also want to watch:
Last week Nimani, of Purley Avenue, Child’s Hill, was convicted of the manslaughter of Mr Laurentiu who died in August 2015.
He was jailed for four years and has been ordered to pay £20,000 to the victim’s family.
- 1 Haute Dolci's dessert restaurant opens in Wembley Park
- 2 Men jailed after Leon Maxwell gunned down in Queensbury
- 3 Teenager convicted of murdering Jamalie Deacon Matthew in Northwick Park
- 4 Free vaccine walk-in at Central Middlesex Hospital
- 5 CCTV image released in Kilburn indecent exposure investigation
- 6 Police officer to appear for trial in Wembley sexual assault case
- 7 Euro 2020: Road closures in Wembley Park as England meets Czech Republic
- 8 Free online double documentary and conversation with artists of the Windrush generation
- 9 Police guarded bushes where two sisters bodies were overnight, court hears
- 10 Primary school in Kilburn back open after staff member contracted Covid
He was also ordered to pay £20,000 costs and has been banned from being a company director for 10 years.