Colindale shopkeeper sold beer to girl, 13, because she was wearing nail polish
- Credit: Archant
An underage schoolgirl was sold alcohol at an unlicensed shop in Colindale after a worker thought she was an adult because she was wearing nail polish.
The 13-year-old girl was with a friend who was just 12 when she bought the can of Tiger lager at The Great Wall Supermarket on Edgware Road.
Xin Li failed to ask her age claiming he was distracted because he was on the telephone and he thought she was at least 18 because of her coloured nails.
In a further twist, trading standard officers from Brent Council discovered the shop was not licensed to sell alcohol.
Further action is expected to be taken against Li.
You may also want to watch:
Willesden Magistrates ordered Li to pay £1,636.
Last month another off-licence on the same road was fined for selling alcohol to a 13-year-old girl.
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 3 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 4 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 5 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 6 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 7 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 8 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 9 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 10 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
Food 4 Less off-licence were ordered to pay £2,420.
Cllr James Denselow, Brent Council’s cabinet member responsible for trading standards, said: “The council is absolutely committed to providing our young people with the healthiest and best start in life possible, so I am pleased with the outcome of this case which goes to show that selling booze to children in Brent is totally unacceptable and is something that we will continue to crack down on.”
If you have concerns of shops selling alcohol to children call 03454 04 05 06.