Colindale shopkeeper sold beer to girl, 13, because she was wearing nail polish
- Credit: Archant
An underage schoolgirl was sold alcohol at an unlicensed shop in Colindale after a worker thought she was an adult because she was wearing nail polish.
The 13-year-old girl was with a friend who was just 12 when she bought the can of Tiger lager at The Great Wall Supermarket on Edgware Road.
Xin Li failed to ask her age claiming he was distracted because he was on the telephone and he thought she was at least 18 because of her coloured nails.
In a further twist, trading standard officers from Brent Council discovered the shop was not licensed to sell alcohol.
Further action is expected to be taken against Li.
Willesden Magistrates ordered Li to pay £1,636.
Last month another off-licence on the same road was fined for selling alcohol to a 13-year-old girl.
- 1 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 2 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 3 'Lucky escape': Four flee Wembley house fire where smoke alarms weren't working
- 4 Brent cycling group calls to improve rather than remove LTNs
- 5 Have your say on proposed changes to constituencies in Brent
- 6 Warburton: Stalemate shows why QPR need strengthening
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following Maida Vale deaths
- 8 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 9 Stonebridge community group to keep fighting after losing Bridge Park appeal
- 10 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
Food 4 Less off-licence were ordered to pay £2,420.
Cllr James Denselow, Brent Council’s cabinet member responsible for trading standards, said: “The council is absolutely committed to providing our young people with the healthiest and best start in life possible, so I am pleased with the outcome of this case which goes to show that selling booze to children in Brent is totally unacceptable and is something that we will continue to crack down on.”
If you have concerns of shops selling alcohol to children call 03454 04 05 06.