Che Labastide-Wellington, 17, ‘hunted down and stabbed to death by small army’ in Kenton

Victim: Che Labastide-Wellington

Victim: Che Labastide-Wellington - Credit: Archant

A “small army” of men stabbed a 17-year-old to death after “hunting him down” at a birthday party in Kenton that was advertised on Instagram.

Che Labistide-Wellington, a college student from Kensal Green, was knifed in the heart at the 16th birthday celebration in Belvedere Way, on November 8 last year.

One of his 16-year-old friends was also stabbed multiple times but survived.

The pair were attacked by a group of 17, several armed with knives, in a feud between neighbouring estates in north-west London, a court heard.

Today at the Old Bailey the trial start of seven of the group for Che’s murder.

Calvin Tudor, 22, of Willesden, Walker Sesay, 18, of Wembley, Rimmel Williams, 18, of Willesden, Marlon Tudor, 23, of Neasden, Omar Afrah, 22, of Wembley, Ibrahim Mansaray, 18, from Acton, and Olamilekan Onafowokan, 23, of Wembley, are all charged with murder by joint enterprise and wounding.

A 15-year-old from Willesden, who cannot be named for legal reasons, faces a charge of conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm.

Most Read

Jurors heard despite all the guests being searched one of the defendant’s brothers took a machete with him in his rucksack.

Prosecutor Crispin Aylett QC said that a flyer for the event was posted on Instagram, which meant that “inevitably a number of people who had not been invited got to hear about it”.

He told the jury that a “small army” of youths descended on the gathering to “sort out” the victim, who was outside in the street.

Mr Aylett said: “Once the defendants’ group had arrived... they immediately attacked as a group - surrounding Che and his friends.

“As Che and his friends tried to escape, the defendants’ group - as a group - hunted them down.”

Che was knifed once in the chest and collapsed in a nearby alleyway.

The second victim was chased down and stabbed six times in the back, side, arm and leg. He was taken to hospital and given six units of blood, which saved his life.

In a cruel twist of fate, Che’s mother Carlene Wellington gave birth to another son less than 24 hours before he was killed.

“She sent Che a photograph of his new brother on Saturday. It was arranged that Che would visit his mother and the baby the following day, Sunday,” Mr Aylett said.

“Instead, in the early hours of Sunday, Carlene found out that her son Che had been killed.”

The trial continues.