CCTV footage shows man stealing bicycle outside gym in Willesden
- Credit: Archant
Smiling and talking to passersby this man caught on CCTV appears to be collecting his bicycle following a workout at a gym in Willesden.
However the footage has actually captured a suspected thief at work outside the Nuffield Health Gym on Sidmouth Road, on Sunday at around 3pm.
It took less than a minute for the man to cut the chains securing the rare SE racing DC Quadangle BMX to railings positioned inches away from the gym entrance.
To avoid any suspicion about what he was about to do he casually walked into the gym where he conversed and joked with reception staff before escaping with the £1,000 bicycle.
The bike's owner had popped into the gym for less than 15 minutes to take a quick shower as his boiler at home has broken down.
The electrician, who lives in Willesden, handed over the compelling CCTV footage to the Times in the hope of catching the thief who is wearing a very distinctive floral bomber jacket.
He said: "He is very clever and is a true professional.
- 1 QPR ground name to revert to Loftus Road for 2022-23
- 2 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 3 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 4 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 5 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 6 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 7 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
"By going into the gym and talking to the staff he made himself known so they didn't think anything of it when he took my bicycle.
"He's even talking to people as he's cutting the chain off so he looks like he has nothing to hide.
"I don't hold out much hope on getting my bike back but this CCTV shows people need to be more vigilant when they see someone cutting the chains off a bike - it could be a thief at work."
A spokesman for Brent Police confirmed they were investigating the theft.
Anyone with information should call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.