Carole Waugh killer jailed
- Credit: Archant
A heartless Wembley conman who murdered a millionaire woman to gamble away her home and savings was sentenced to life behind bars today.
Rakesh Bhayani of Chamberlayne Avenue will serve minimum of 27 years in jail.
His accomplice, Nicholas Kutner 48 from Kentish Town was sentenced to 13 years.
The 41 year-old stabbed Carole Waugh, 49, to death in her Marble Arch flat and dumped her body in a car boot in April of last year.
The shameless pair then stripped the late Ms Waugh of her assets to fund their luxurious lifestyle.
You may also want to watch:
They successfully netted £350,000 but the money was quickly gambled away.
Bhayani lost a whopping £200,000 on the roulette tables in London West End within a few weeks.
- 1 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 6 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 7 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 8 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 9 'Cowardly' government accused by Brent MP of siding with 'bad bosses'
- 10 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
The pair were caught by police as they were trying to sell the lavish £750,000 flat on Tressard Court.
Kutner even posed as Carole’s brother, Chris, in order to sell/rent the property.
“They were exactly like the two conmen in the Steve Martin film ‘Dirty Rotten Scoundrels’ but one was a killer too,” said one detective who helped track them down.
“They were very, nasty men without a single shred of conscience.”
Bhayani and Kutner made careers from fraud and would trick wives partners and friends without an ounce of remorse.
The disgraced duo even resorted to hiring female impersonators to swindled as much from Ms Waugh’s estate as possible.
The jury found Bhayani guilty of murder. Kutner was cleared of murder but convicted of perverting the course of justice by helping to cover up the killing.
A third man, Elie Khoury, 40, said to have helped to recruit the impersonators was cleared of conspiracy to defraud.
Grandmother Julie Witham, 47, admitted to posing as Ms Waugh and was sentenced to 140 hours unpaid work.
Another man, Derek Eastham who pleaded guilty to transferring and being in possession of criminal property was given 12 months imprisonment suspended for 12 months.
Ms Waugh, who gave herself the name ‘poshtottyfun’, on escort sites died on the night of April 17 and was found in a lock-up garage on August 2 last year.
Jenny Hopkins, CPS London Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor, said: “We hope the convictions today give some small comfort to Carole Waugh’s family. Our thoughts are with them at this time.”