Burglary victim claims Brent Police refused to arrest suspect
- Credit: Archant
A father from Wembley Park who trapped two burglars in his home claims the police refused to arrest a suspected accomplice when he spotted him days later.
Rehan Sheikh told the Times he took the heroic action after he was called by a friend who alerted him to people entering his home in Wembley Park Drive.
This was the second time in 18 months that burglars had targeted his home so he raced to his property where he managed to trap a man and woman inside until the police arrived and arrested them.
However he claims when he spotted the pair’s suspected accomplice a few days later the police refused to arrest him until the father-of-four claimed he was recording the conversation.
He said: “I was begging the police, please arrest him, then told them I was recording them.
You may also want to watch:
“The police are not treating these people as criminals. They just let them go and that’s why they are doing these sorts of crimes.”
Speaking of the moment he arrived home to find the suspects in his house, he said: “Two men and a woman broke into my house, breaking a solid wooden door inside.
- 1 Brent Council worker Vithun Illankovan on his time in The Circle
- 2 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 3 Homeless in Brent, Covid and Ramadan support
- 4 Brent mother of murdered schoolboy Quamari urges public to report knife crime
- 5 QPR boss Warburton praises hard-working Dykes
- 6 Lessons from the Covid pandemic: we need a revolution!
- 7 Wembley Stadium wins approval to hold more events
- 8 Six years ago today, it was knocked down - next week the Carlton reopens
- 9 Brent arts organisations awarded over £1m in Covid recovery funding
- 10 Brent Council to issue water bill refunds to council tenants
“The woman ran into the garden but there was nowhere for her to go from there and the other tried to attack me saying he could kill me.
“I called the police and luckily was able to close my door, locking two of them in but the third ran away.”
Police recovered Mr Sheikh’s property including a plasma TV and tools, at the burglar’s address
Figures released last week showed Brent was the third highest borough in London for burglaries with 2,717 incidents in March 2016 compared to 2,592 the previous year.
Mr Shiekh, who the Times reported protected his wife and four children from burglars last year, only moved to the property seven months ago. They were away on holiday this time.
A spokesman for Brent Police said: “Officers in Brent work tirelessly to keep the community safe, to protect the public and to protect property.
“We have had significant reductions in residential burglary offences, a 1.4per cent reduction in the current rolling 12 month period up to August 4 this year.”
Jamac Ahmad, 47, from Wembley Park Drive and Calina Prodan, 31, have been charged with burglary.
A 38-year-old third suspect has been bailed until September pending further enquiries.