Brixton man admits taking part in smash-and-grab robbery in Kingsbury
- Credit: Archant
A man has admitted today being in an armed moped gang that carried out a smash-and-grab robbery at a jewellers in Kingsbury earlier this month.
Lookman Shekoni, from Brixton, was part of the eight-strong mob that used axes and hammers to smash through the windows of The Jeweller in Kingsbury Road, and grab £400,000 worth of jewellery on September 7.
The 24-year-old was videoed being dragged off his moped by angry traders who held on to him until he was arrested by the police.
Thousands of pounds worth of jewellery was found in a bag he was carrying.
Today at Harrow Crown Court he pleaded guilty to robbery.
You may also want to watch:
He also admitted carrying out a night-time burglary at an opticians in St John’s Wood High Street on August 14 where £20,000 of designer glasses were stolen.
Detective Inspector Scott Hartley, of the Flying Squad, said: “Shekoni was pulled off his moped while trying to flee the scene by members of the public appalled at what was taking place in their community.
- 1 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 2 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 3 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Residents priced out the area they grew up in
- 7 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 8 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 9 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 10 Man, 40, stabbed to death in Willesden
“While we would never encourage people to get involved directly in this way, I would like to commend the brave actions of passers-by that led to Shekoni being promptly arrested. They acted with little regard for their own safety, intent on catching those who had carried out such a brazen robbery in broad daylight.
“The evidence against Shekoni was overwhelming and he had little choice but to plead guilty.
“Enquiries continue to trace the other suspects and we are keen to hear from anyone with information.”
Anyone with information about the remaining suspects should call the Flying Squad on 020 8785 8655 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Shekoni will be sentenced on November 2 for both crimes.