Brixton man admits taking part in smash-and-grab robbery in Kingsbury
- Credit: Archant
A man has admitted today being in an armed moped gang that carried out a smash-and-grab robbery at a jewellers in Kingsbury earlier this month.
Lookman Shekoni, from Brixton, was part of the eight-strong mob that used axes and hammers to smash through the windows of The Jeweller in Kingsbury Road, and grab £400,000 worth of jewellery on September 7.
The 24-year-old was videoed being dragged off his moped by angry traders who held on to him until he was arrested by the police.
Thousands of pounds worth of jewellery was found in a bag he was carrying.
Today at Harrow Crown Court he pleaded guilty to robbery.
He also admitted carrying out a night-time burglary at an opticians in St John’s Wood High Street on August 14 where £20,000 of designer glasses were stolen.
Detective Inspector Scott Hartley, of the Flying Squad, said: “Shekoni was pulled off his moped while trying to flee the scene by members of the public appalled at what was taking place in their community.
- 1 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
- 2 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 3 Plan for creating 25,500 homes around 'HS2 Superhub' passed
- 4 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 5 Flats approved for Brondesbury Park
- 6 Wembley school opens new special educational needs facility
- 7 The Fellowship: Highly charged look at the children of Windrush
- 8 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
- 9 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 10 Plea date set for men accused of fatal stabbing in Neasden
“While we would never encourage people to get involved directly in this way, I would like to commend the brave actions of passers-by that led to Shekoni being promptly arrested. They acted with little regard for their own safety, intent on catching those who had carried out such a brazen robbery in broad daylight.
“The evidence against Shekoni was overwhelming and he had little choice but to plead guilty.
“Enquiries continue to trace the other suspects and we are keen to hear from anyone with information.”
Anyone with information about the remaining suspects should call the Flying Squad on 020 8785 8655 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Shekoni will be sentenced on November 2 for both crimes.