Boy, 14, jailed for seven years for killing Haile Langa in Kilburn
- Credit: Archant
A 14-year-old schoolboy who stabbed a man to death in Kilburn over a £2,000 debt has been jailed for seven years.
The youth from Willesden, who cannot be named for legal reasons, knifed 21-year-old Haile Langa in the heart in an underground car park on November 5 last year.
The youth admitted the stabbing, but claimed it was accidental as he tried to disarm Mr Langa who he claimed was attempting to rob him.
On Friday he was sentenced to seven years youth detention after being convicted of manslaughter at the Old Bailey last month.
He was cleared of murder.
You may also want to watch:
Imaan Farjani, 19, of Unity Close, Willesden, was also acquitted of murder by the jury and 20-year-old Ahmed El-Sayed, of Watling Gardens, Kilburn, was cleared on the direction of the judge.
The court heard Mr Langa had told his girlfriend he was terrified for his life over a £2,000 drugs debt in a series of WhatsApp messages.
- 1 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 2 Brent councillor calls for improved social distancing in supermarkets
- 3 Fenerbahce announce signing of QPR’s Bright Osayi-Samuel
- 4 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 5 Wembley tutor takes to Instagram to help with homeschooling
- 6 Man dies after stabbing in Brent
- 7 Interactive Harlesden exhibition aims to make art more accessible
- 8 Wealdstone boss Brennan dubbed Gloucester City a 'very ambitious' club
- 9 Woman dies after she was found collapsed in Barham Park
- 10 Fourteen fined for lockdown breach after car meet in Park Royal
In one he wrote: “I’m either going to get rich or die trying. Today I’m on my last legs.
“They know everywhere I can go, they’re coming after my family - I do everything for them and now I’ve got nothing left but a £2,000 debt.”
He added: “I’m going to make headlines today.”
Mr Langa was picked up by a white Mercedes driven by Farjani on Tynemouth Road, and they drove to the Watling Gardens Estate and parked at the entrance to the car park with the nose of the Mercedes poking out.
After a few minutes, CCTV footage captured the car reversing rapidly into the depths of the car park.
El-Sayed was accused of cornering the victim as he fled the car park before he was stabbed.
Mr Langa managed to flee the scene in Watling Gardens off Shoot Up Hill in Kilburn, but collapsed on a nearby grassy verge and died.