Boy, 14, jailed for seven years for killing Haile Langa in Kilburn
- Credit: Archant
A 14-year-old schoolboy who stabbed a man to death in Kilburn over a £2,000 debt has been jailed for seven years.
The youth from Willesden, who cannot be named for legal reasons, knifed 21-year-old Haile Langa in the heart in an underground car park on November 5 last year.
The youth admitted the stabbing, but claimed it was accidental as he tried to disarm Mr Langa who he claimed was attempting to rob him.
On Friday he was sentenced to seven years youth detention after being convicted of manslaughter at the Old Bailey last month.
He was cleared of murder.
You may also want to watch:
Imaan Farjani, 19, of Unity Close, Willesden, was also acquitted of murder by the jury and 20-year-old Ahmed El-Sayed, of Watling Gardens, Kilburn, was cleared on the direction of the judge.
The court heard Mr Langa had told his girlfriend he was terrified for his life over a £2,000 drugs debt in a series of WhatsApp messages.
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 New QPR signing Moses Odubajo's story so far
- 3 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 4 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 5 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 6 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 7 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 8 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 9 Traffic disruption in Brent from August 2-8
- 10 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
In one he wrote: “I’m either going to get rich or die trying. Today I’m on my last legs.
“They know everywhere I can go, they’re coming after my family - I do everything for them and now I’ve got nothing left but a £2,000 debt.”
He added: “I’m going to make headlines today.”
Mr Langa was picked up by a white Mercedes driven by Farjani on Tynemouth Road, and they drove to the Watling Gardens Estate and parked at the entrance to the car park with the nose of the Mercedes poking out.
After a few minutes, CCTV footage captured the car reversing rapidly into the depths of the car park.
El-Sayed was accused of cornering the victim as he fled the car park before he was stabbed.
Mr Langa managed to flee the scene in Watling Gardens off Shoot Up Hill in Kilburn, but collapsed on a nearby grassy verge and died.