Benefit cheat used ill-gotten gains to fund family holiday in Dubai
Mother-of-six hid �30,000 inheritence money from council chiefs
A BENEFIT cheat whisked her six children off to Dubai, bought a new car and spruced up her rented home with her ill-gotten gains.
Anab Gas, 39, admitted she had bankrolled her spending spree by swindling almost �10,000 from Hammersmith & Fulham Council.
Gas, who lives in the White City Estate, hid a �30,000 inheritance from council chiefs to claim housing benefit, council tax benefit and income support since 2002.
Under currently rules anyone with savings of more than �16,000 is not entitled to the benefits Gas claimed.
You may also want to watch:
West London Magistrates Court heard over a six-year-period Gas blew her benefits money on a six- week family holiday in Dubai, new furniture for home and a Vauxhall Corsa.
She claimed she didn’t declare the money her father had left for her because she was stressed after falling out with her stepmother over the cash.
- 1 Pensioner slams Brent Council over 'hell' housing
- 2 Man admits murdering waiter in Kilburn 38 years ago
- 3 Behind Closed Doors: The high number of Brent evictions
- 4 Two men arrested in connection with Jeffrey Wegby killing
- 5 Qusai Alomar, 12, dies after collision involving motorcyclist near Wembley
- 6 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Brent from climate emergency
- 8 QPR boss 'disappointed' as two late goals cost his side at West Brom
- 9 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 10 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
Gas admitted two counts of benefit fraud and was sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for 12 months.
Cllr Greg Smith, cabinet member for residents’ services, said: “Gas’ deceit is enough to make people’s blood boil.
“She thought that she could get away with putting her hands into the council’s coffers but I am delighted that her plans blew up in her face.”