Benefit cheat used ill-gotten gains to fund family holiday in Dubai
Mother-of-six hid �30,000 inheritence money from council chiefs
A BENEFIT cheat whisked her six children off to Dubai, bought a new car and spruced up her rented home with her ill-gotten gains.
Anab Gas, 39, admitted she had bankrolled her spending spree by swindling almost �10,000 from Hammersmith & Fulham Council.
Gas, who lives in the White City Estate, hid a �30,000 inheritance from council chiefs to claim housing benefit, council tax benefit and income support since 2002.
Under currently rules anyone with savings of more than �16,000 is not entitled to the benefits Gas claimed.
West London Magistrates Court heard over a six-year-period Gas blew her benefits money on a six- week family holiday in Dubai, new furniture for home and a Vauxhall Corsa.
She claimed she didn’t declare the money her father had left for her because she was stressed after falling out with her stepmother over the cash.
- 1 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 2 Brent scheme helping people with disabilities after Covid
- 3 Wembley man who used child to sell drugs due in court
- 4 Four adults and child rescued from roof as blaze destroys flat
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 'Grandfather of Kensal Rise': Barber Gee Artrey dies at 86
- 7 North London road and rail disruptions in the week ahead
- 8 London to Hong Kong to Selfridges: Couple’s snack brand journey
- 9 Girl, 14, sexually assaulted on Tube by man who asked for her Snapchat
- 10 Guilty: North London criminals jailed in December 2021
Gas admitted two counts of benefit fraud and was sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for 12 months.
Cllr Greg Smith, cabinet member for residents’ services, said: “Gas’ deceit is enough to make people’s blood boil.
“She thought that she could get away with putting her hands into the council’s coffers but I am delighted that her plans blew up in her face.”