Belsize Park woman accused of stalking Hampstead surgeon
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
An obsessed woman from Belsize Park bombarded a Royal Free doctor with hundreds of letters when she fell in love with him, a court heard today.
Anuradha Megpara, 53, of Havercourt, Haverstock Hill, became besotted with surgeon Daryll Baker and sent 400 cards and notes professing her love for him, it was said.
Megpara now faces a charge of harassment after she inundated Dr Baker and a secretary at his private practice at the Wellington Hospital with the romantic messages between April 26 and September 9.
She admitted sending the letters during a police interview, but denies they amounted to harassment.
Mr Baker, a consultant vascular surgeon at the Royal Free and University College Hospitals, will now have to face his admirer as a witness in court after Megpara pleaded not guilty to harassment at Westminster Magistrates’ Court today.
You may also want to watch:
Magistrate Carolyn Mishon said: “This matter is now adjourned for your trial which will take place on the 15 March at City of London magistrates’ court at 9.30am.
“Until then you have two conditions of bail, the same as you have had before.
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 5 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 8 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 9 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
- 10 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
“You are not to contact directly or indirectly the person, that means you may not contact him by sending him text messages, emails, or on Facebook.”
Megpara is also barred from attending the Wellington Hospital while she is on bail.