Assault charge dropped against Liverpool footballer Raheem Sterling
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Teenager grew up in Neasden and went to school in Wembley
Liverpool and England footballer Raheem Sterling had a charge of common assault dropped today after a witness failed to turn up to court.
Sterling, 18, a former pupil of Copland Community School in Cecil Avenue, Wembley, was due to appear at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court and the case was dismissed when prosecutor Rob Jones offered no evidence.
The teenager, who grew up in the St Raphael’s Estate in Neasden, had been accused of assaulting a woman in Toxteth, Liverpool, last November.
Sterling, who is reportedly paid £30,000 a week, had always denied the allegation of assault and had hired top barrister Stuart Driver QC to defend him.
You may also want to watch:
His legal costs will now be paid for by the taxpayer so he would not be “out of pocket” the court heard.
The case has been before Liverpool Magistrates’ Court on three previous occasions, none of which the Premier League winger attended.
- 1 Behind Closed Doors: The high number of Brent evictions
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 Man admits murdering waiter in Kilburn 38 years ago
- 4 Two men arrested in connection with Jeffrey Wegby killing
- 5 Pensioner slams Brent Council over 'hell' housing
- 6 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 7 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 8 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 9 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 10 Charlie Cooper guides Wealdstone to victory at King's Lynn Town
Today Sterling is understood to have waited in a silver Mercedes people carrier on a street around the corner from Liverpool Magistrates’ Court and did not enter the building for the 10am case to be called on.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, Sterling’s agent and other club officials also waited in the car until news came from court that the case had been dropped.
Instead prosecutor Mr Jones waited until 10.45am until abandoning the case when witnesses failed to attend court.
Mr Jones told District Judge Richard Clancy that two witnesses, a Rachel Smith and a woman known only as Miss Hall, were contacted on Friday and the “expectation” was they would attend to give evidence - but neither had.
“I’m conscious of, one, the nature of the offence and two, the interest in the case.
“I don’t consider it appropriate to issue a witness warrant for the arrest of Miss Hall.”
The court heard the allegation was of a minor common assault and it was not in the public interest to force alleged victims and witnesses to come to court for such a matter.
“The only application I can make is to formally offer no evidence in respect of this case,” Mr Jones added.
Mr Driver, for Sterling told the judge: “This was a minor allegation against a teenager of previous good character and Raheem Sterling has always insisted he’s done nothing wrong.
“Could I ask you to make a defence costs order on the understanding that there’s strict limits on that, so he would not be out of pocket?
“The defendant has remained just outside court in a private place.”
Judge Clancy replied: “The prosecution having offered no evidence, then the case will be dismissed. Defence costs from central funds.”
Sterling, who lives in Woolton, Liverpool, was aged 17 at the time of the alleged incident.
He was charged with common assault on the 27-year-old victim, who is known to the player, after she suffered “slight” facial injuries last November 2.
He had entered a formal not guilty plea through his lawyers at the last hearing in March but exact details of the incident are not known as the case was never formally opened in court.
Signed for £600,000 from QPR, Sterling earned plaudits for his performances for Liverpool this season before being sidelined through injury since April.
He was called up to the full England squad for his senior international debut last November against Sweden.
A month later he switched from a youth to a full professional contract on turning 18, signing a five-year deal with Liverpool worth a reported £30,000 a week.
Liverpool FC declined to comment on the case.
In February Sterling made an impromptu visit to teachers at his old school.
He was driving past Copland when he spotted his former sports coach Paul Lawrence and other staff so he pulled over and spoke to them.