Armed smash-and-grab raiders carry out 3am robbery on 24-hour Tesco store in Neasden
- Credit: Getty Images
Raiders armed with sledgehammer and crowbars carried out a smash-and-grab robbery after storming a 24-hour branch of Tesco in Neasden at 3.35am today.
The hunt is on to find the gang of three or four men who targeted the Tesco Extra Wembley megastore in Great Central Way after arriving in a stolen Land Rover and on two mopeds.
The mob, wearing masks and crash helmets, threatened workers with their weapons before stealing property including mobile phones and cash.
According to a source, who asked not to be named, they smashed into a stockroom where the phones are stored and the shop’s ‘click and collect’ warehouse to steal thousands of pounds worth of stock.
They also fled with hundreds of cigarettes.
You may also want to watch:
No staff members were injured.
Police, who had been called to the scene, chased the Land Rover as it made off and managed to stop it in Willesden Lane NW2 where a 21-year-old man tried to flee on foot.
- 1 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 2 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 3 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 4 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 5 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
- 6 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 7 Man arrested in connection with Neasden murder and two stabbings
- 8 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 9 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 10 Police seek witnesses as Kenton crash victim named as Vimla Matai
Following a short pursuit he was arrested in nearby Chatsworth Road for robbery, theft of a motor vehicle and assault on police.
Two policemen suffered injuries to their upper arm and shoulder during a violent struggle with the man but they did not require hospital treatment.
The man is currently in police custody.
The store was closed for several hours this morning to allow forensic officers to gather evidence.
A spokesman for Tesco said: “The incident took place in the early hours of this morning. Our store was reopened at 11am and is trading normally. We would like to thank our colleagues and customers for their patience during this time”.
“The police are investigating the incident” Anyone with information is asked to call Brent CID on 0208 733 3217 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.