Armed smash-and-grab raiders carry out 3am robbery on 24-hour Tesco store in Neasden
- Credit: Getty Images
Raiders armed with sledgehammer and crowbars carried out a smash-and-grab robbery after storming a 24-hour branch of Tesco in Neasden at 3.35am today.
The hunt is on to find the gang of three or four men who targeted the Tesco Extra Wembley megastore in Great Central Way after arriving in a stolen Land Rover and on two mopeds.
The mob, wearing masks and crash helmets, threatened workers with their weapons before stealing property including mobile phones and cash.
According to a source, who asked not to be named, they smashed into a stockroom where the phones are stored and the shop’s ‘click and collect’ warehouse to steal thousands of pounds worth of stock.
They also fled with hundreds of cigarettes.
You may also want to watch:
No staff members were injured.
Police, who had been called to the scene, chased the Land Rover as it made off and managed to stop it in Willesden Lane NW2 where a 21-year-old man tried to flee on foot.
- 1 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 2 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 3 Qusai Alomar, 12, dies after collision involving motorcyclist near Wembley
- 4 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
- 5 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 6 Hospitality Day: Your favourite Brent cafe revealed
- 7 Young winners excel at Queen's Park Book Festival
- 8 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 9 Crowds flock to Queen's Park Book Festival 2021
- 10 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
Following a short pursuit he was arrested in nearby Chatsworth Road for robbery, theft of a motor vehicle and assault on police.
Two policemen suffered injuries to their upper arm and shoulder during a violent struggle with the man but they did not require hospital treatment.
The man is currently in police custody.
The store was closed for several hours this morning to allow forensic officers to gather evidence.
A spokesman for Tesco said: “The incident took place in the early hours of this morning. Our store was reopened at 11am and is trading normally. We would like to thank our colleagues and customers for their patience during this time”.
“The police are investigating the incident” Anyone with information is asked to call Brent CID on 0208 733 3217 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.