Armed police carry out weapons sweep across Brent today
- Credit: Archant
Armed officers swooped on the Stonebridge Estate and other gang crime hotspots across Brent today to carry out a weapons sweep.
Detective Chief Superintendent Kevin Southworth, who is leading a week-long crackdown on firearms across London codenamed Operation Kestrel, told the Times: “We have intensified activity this week especially on estates where we know shots have been fired as we want to reassure the public after Paris that armed officers are always patrolling the streets ready to respond if there is a shooting.
“However, this is mainly intended as a deterrent and we don’t want to upset anyone.”
The raids came as new Met Police figures showed the estate had the highest recorded number of gunshots across London this year, with 16 reports of lethal and non-lethal firearms such as airguns discharged since October 31, 2014.
Det Ch Supt Southworth confirmed operation Kestrel teams had carried out raids including armed response vehicles on properties across Stonebridge.
You may also want to watch:
He added the ongoing operation was targeting areas across London with high levels of firearms discharge and warned gang members looking to hide weapons “there is no safe place for your gun”.
A spokesman for the Met Police said: “Kestrel is a Met wide operation that is already having a huge impact and has so far resulted in 12 firearms being taken off our streets, over ten kilos of drugs seized and eight arrests. It is drawing on the expertise of a range of different units and that involves firearms officers.
- 1 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 4 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 7 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 8 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 9 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 10 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
“We make no apology for deploying any specialist officer that we think can help get guns off our streets, reduce crime, arrest criminals and ultimately make London a safer place. The best way for us to recover guns off our streets is for the community to help us by providing intelligence - tell us what you know anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”