Andra Hilitanu murder trial: Neasden man Ioan Campeanu ‘killed his pregnant girlfriend with pair of scissors’, jury told at trial opening
- Credit: Archant
A Neasden man allegedly stabbed to death the mother of his unborn child with a pair of scissors, a court has heard.
Ioan Campeanu, 44, stands accused of murdering Andra Hilitanu, who was seven months pregnant, at the bedsit they shared in Neasden Lane in the early hours of June 1.
He is also charged with destruction of a child, the Old Bailey heard today.
Ms Hilitanu’s body was found by police in the property’s communal bathroom with multiple injuries, including to her genitals, and a fatal wound to her neck.
A jury heard Campeanu had allegedly confessed to killing his 28-year-old partner when he called emergency services more than two hours later. A recording of the call was heard in court.
You may also want to watch:
Brian O’Neill QC, prosecuting, said: “No one else other than this defendant could have killed Andra, it being his final act of brutality against her after months and years of domestic violence.
“He attacked her and their unborn child, plunging a pair of scissors into her neck and leaving them both to die as he went for a drive deliberately not summoning help for more than two hours in order to ensure that both mother and the child she was carrying were dead.”
- 1 Harlesden couple launch mobile musical funerals during Covid
- 2 Reward offered after drone stolen in Wembley
- 3 Wealdstone thrashed by league leaders Hartlepool United
- 4 Warburton: Dieng played on with broken nose before red card
- 5 QPR move into top 10 with win at Middlesbrough despite Dieng dismissal
- 6 Vaccine bus launched in Brent to increase take up
- 7 Social enterprise boutique gym opening in Queen's Park on May 17
- 8 Olympic Steps to Wembley Stadium unveiled
- 9 Mixed feelings for residents and workers as crowds return to Wembley
- 10 Female-only massage clinic opens in Harlesden
Mr O’Neill said a neighbouring bedsit tenant texted the landlord of the property between 11.50pm and 12.40am complaining that the couple were fighting.
He said the only voice he heard was a female saying repeatedly “da, da, da,” Romanian for “yes, yes, yes”.
Campeanu is then alleged to have called his daughter, Sabina, and told her: “I got rid of her. Take care of yourself.”
When he finally called 999, at 2.24am, he spoke to the operator through a Romanian translator, and said: “I killed her.”
Ms Hilitanu had left her husband and children to be with Campeanu and the two had lived together since 2016.
The court heard they were both heavy users of crack cocaine, which was in both their systems on the night of the alleged murder.
Thoughout their relationship Campeanu “regularly abused her” and would “send her out to steal and make her take drugs”.
On the day of her death she spoke to her brother about her desire to get away from him and leave the country.
Campeanu denies both charges. The trial continues.