Willesden terror raid: Woman arrested after being shot by police
PUBLISHED: 09:15 02 May 2017 | UPDATED: 09:15 02 May 2017
A woman shot during an anti-terror raid in Willesden has been arrested following her discharge from hospital.
The 21-year-old woman was shot at the house in Harlesden Road on Thursday night as armed officers carried out a counter terrorism investigation.
She was arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism following her hospital discharge on Sunday, the police said.
She has been taken into custody at a south London police station where six people, including a teenage boy, have been arrested under the same charges in connection with the raid and are also being detained.
A 16-year-old boy, a 20-year-old woman, a 28-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman were arrested in the house, a 21-year-old man was arrested near Harlesden Road and a 43-year-old woman was arrested in Kent in connection with the raid.
Further detention warrants were granted at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Saturday which allow the six suspects to be detained between May 2 and 4.
The woman was shot as officers entered the house, between Parkfield Road and Kings Road, shortly before 7pm on Thursday night.
Neighbour James O’Gara told the Brent&Kilburn Times: “We just heard a sound like a car back-firing. A minute or two later there was a second volley of shots. I looked out and saw a number of police. There were armed police on the other side of the road pointing their weapons at the upstairs of the property.
“It all happened so fast, it was incredible how many officers there were. They were going round sealing the road. Then a woman was being forcibly removed from the property. She was screaming and all of a sudden she went quiet, possibly accepting she had to surrender.”
Police said both the address in Harlesden Road and the people connected with it had been under observation by counter terrorism officers as part of an ongoing intelligence-led operation.
Searches at the address are ongoing, as well as two further searches at linked addresses elsewhere in London.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, senior national co-ordinator for counter terrorism policing, said: “Due to the arrests made, I believe we have contained the threats that they posed.
“With the attack in Westminster on March 22 so fresh in people’s minds, I would like to reassure everyone that across the country officers are working around the clock to identify those people who intend to commit acts of terror.
“I would also like to thank the public for their continued help and support. No matter how hard we try, it is communities that will defeat terrorism and we rely on your vigilance. Please continue to let us know of any suspicions or concerns you may have. No call is ever a waste of our time and every call is treated seriously and confidentially, and investigated.
“We will continue to work with all communities to defeat terrorists together.”
Officers urge those who see anything terrorist related, to call the police on 0800 789 321 or visit gov.uk/ACT