Teenager found guilty of Che Labastide-Wellington knife killing in Kenton
PUBLISHED: 18:06 09 November 2016 | UPDATED: 15:18 11 November 2016
A teenager has been found guilty of the manslaughter of a 17-year-old boy who was stabbed to death outside a birthday party in Kenton.
Che Labastide-Wellington, a student from Kensal Green, was knifed in the heart at the celebration in Belverdare Way, on November 8 last year.
One of friends, who is 16 and cannot be named because of his age, was also stabbed multiple times but survived.
The pair were said to have been attacked by a group of 17, several armed with knives, in a feud between neighbouring estates in north-west London, a court heard.
A number of young defendants were accused of being part of the group and went on trial for murder and wounding at the Old Bailey.
A jury deliberated for more than 42 hours to find 19-year-old Walker Sesay, of Rawlings Crescent, Wembley, not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter.
Rimmel Williams, 18, of Churchill Road, Willesden, and Calvin Tudor, 22, of Kelly Close, Neasden, were convicted of wounding with intent alongside Marlon Tudor, 23, of Neasden.
Omar Afrah, 22, of Walton Avenue, and Olamilekan Onafowokan, 23, of Page Avenue, both in Wembley, were found guilty of conspiracy to commit violent disorder.
Ibrahim Mansaray, 18, from Acton, and a 16-year-old boy were cleared in court.
Judge Stephen Kramer QC adjourned sentencing until December 6 so that reports can be prepared on some of the defendants.
He warned them: “Be under no illusion, in each of your cases there is a 99.9 per cent certainty there will be a custodial sentence.”
Prosecutor Crispin Aylett QC had told jurors that a flyer for the event was posted on Instagram, which meant that “inevitably a number of people who had not been invited got to hear about it”.
He told the jury that a “small army” of youths descended on the gathering to “sort out” the victim, who was outside in the street.
Che was knifed once in the chest and collapsed in a nearby alleyway.
He was pronounced dead at the scene by 1.30am.
The second victim was chased down and stabbed six times in the back, side, arm and leg. He was taken to hospital and given six units of blood, which saved his life.
In a cruel twist of fate, Che’s mother Carlene Wellington gave birth to another son less than 24 hours before he was killed.
“She sent Che a photograph of his new brother on Saturday. It was arranged that Che would visit his mother and the baby the following day, Sunday,” Mr Aylett said.
“Instead, in the early hours of Sunday, Carlene found out that her son Che had been killed.”
Detective Chief Inspector Chris Jones, who led the investigation, said: “Che and his friend were chased and set upon by a gang who had a pack-like mentality. They were intent on wounding and committing serious harm for what was no more than a petty dispute and a false sense of disrespect.
“This mentality cost Che his life. These convictions serve as a reminder and warning to those in gangs who think they are above the law. We will find you. We will investigate diligently and not stop until you are brought before the courts to face justice. I hope the verdict offers some comfort to Che’s family who have behaved with the upmost dignity throughout this difficult and complex investigation.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.