Search

Mother’s appeal to catch killer who shot dead her son in Neasden

PUBLISHED: 07:00 06 August 2014 | UPDATED: 10:24 06 August 2014

Rowan Thomas-Williams was shot dead in Neasden

Rowan Thomas-Williams was shot dead in Neasden

Archant

The mother of a man who was shot dead in Neasden has spoken out for the first time to appeal for information leading to his killer.

Rowan Thomas-Williams was shot dead in December 2013Rowan Thomas-Williams was shot dead in December 2013

Ruth Thomas is calling for the community to come forward and help put the person who killed Rowan Thomas-Williams in jail.

The 20-year-old was at a birthday party in Mulberry Court, Elgar Avenue, when he was shot in the chest on December 6 last year.

Police were called to the area in response to reports of gunshots at around 2am but found no one there.

However Mr Thomas-Williams’ friends had already taken him to a hospital in north west London where medics called the police.

"I am still in shock and always will be. Rowan has been taken away and will never return. As a family we need closure, although this will never bring Rowan back I need to know why I will never see my son again."

Grieving mother Ruth Thomas

He died several hours later at 9.40am.

Ms Thomas said: “Rowan’s loss is not only felt by me, but also his father, his children and his younger sisters. Rowan was only a young man when his life was taken. Rowan had his whole life ahead of him. He was at the age where he wanted to build a future for himself and his children.

“Rowan would visit me regularly; he was going to go to university to study Media in the hope of having a career in music. We would always discuss this as a family where he would tell us about his dreams; I could see this would have a positive effect on his younger sisters.

“The loss of my son is heart wrenching, words can not explain just how bad I feel. Rowan was my first born, we had that special bond, and he is and always will be my baby boy.

“I am still in shock and always will be. Rowan has been taken away and will never return. I believe that there are members of the local community who have information about what happened that night. I would plead for these people to come forward and tell the police. As a family we need closure, although this will never bring Rowan back I need to know why I will never see my son again.”

Detectives investigating the murder have put up a £20,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of Mr Thomas-William’s killer.

They believe he may have been involved in a fight when he was shot.

DCI Graeme Gwyn, from the Met’s homicide and major crime command, said: “Eight months on following the shooting we are still no further along with identifying the person or persons responsible for Rowan’s murder. I am convinced that there are people in the local community who have important information or know who is responsible and I would urge those with information to come forward and assist us with our investigation.

“We will be in the area appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the altercation that took place and subsequently the shooting. Since Rowan’s murder allegiances may have changed and I am hoping that those who did not engage with us at the time of the incident are now in a position to do so.

“This was a callous and brutal murder and Rowan’s mother and wider family have been left completely devastated. If you have any information please do not remain silent, anything we do receive will be treated sensitively and in the upmost confidence.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the incident room on 0208 721 4805 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Four men aged 23, 26, 28 and 50 and a woman, 49, have been arrested in connection with the murder.

The 26 and 50-year-old men have been bailed pending further enquires to attend a police station in January next year.

The remaining three have been released with no further action.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times