Met police officer faces misconduct charges over investigation into disappearance of Wembley woman Saima Ahmed

PUBLISHED: 16:39 21 July 2017 | UPDATED: 16:39 21 July 2017

Saima Ahmed was last seen on CCTV footage at Wembley Central station

Saima Ahmed was last seen on CCTV footage at Wembley Central station


A senior Met Police officer is facing a misconduct hearing for alleged failures in the investigation into the disappearance of Wembley woman Saima Ahmed, who was mysteriously found dead in Scotland early last year.

Saima Ahmed went missing in August 2015; her body was discovered five months laterSaima Ahmed went missing in August 2015; her body was discovered five months later

Ms Ahmed went missing from her home in Oakington Manor Drive, in Wembley, in August 2015 and her body was found on a golf course outside Edinburgh five months later. Her disappearance and subsequent death remain unresolved.

Now the acting detective chief inspector (A/DCI) who led the investigation is to face a misconduct meeting, accused of a breach of his professional standards. He must answer accusations that he and his team failed to pursue lines of enquiry relating to the last sighting of the dead woman, which was on CCTV footage that recorded her at Wembley Central station boarding a London Overground train bound for Watford Junction.

Two police constables will meanwhile face unsatisfactory performance procedures for discrepancies in the way information was recorded in the initial stages of the investigation, which led to vital details being unavailable to investigators later on.

Two other Brent police officers – a detective inspector and a detective constable – were found to have no case to answer.

“The IPCC investigation into how the Metropolitan Police handled Saima Ahmed’s disappearance formed the opinion that, in places, officers may not have met the levels required by their professional standards,” said IPCC Commission-Delegate Colin Dewar. “It is important that improvements are made for future investigations and that the officers will be accountable for their actions.”

Police have never made public any leads they have regarding the case of Ms Ahmed. She went missing after leaving her home in the morning of August 30 2015. She was recorded on CCTV footage withdrawing money from an ATM on Wembley High Road and boarding a train to Watford Junction.

She is then believed to have boarded a train to Northampton; after that her movements remain vague, until her body was discovered at Gogarburn golf course outside Edinburgh – 400 miles from her home and a city where she had no known family or friends.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Kilburn Times