Kensal Rise filmmaker cleared of sexual assaults
PUBLISHED: 11:42 14 March 2017 | UPDATED: 11:42 14 March 2017
CENTRALNEWS Cianfarano Luigi
A filmmaker from Kensal Rise had been accused of molesting a woman who ‘passed out’ in his bed when they went back to his house after drinks.
Yonathan Gal, 30, could still face a charge of voyeurism after he took photographs of his victim with his smartphone after taking her back to his home in Clifford Gardens.
His victim claimed to have been woken by the flashes and shutter sounds from Gal’s mobile – but he insisted she had asked him to photograph her.
Gal had met up with the woman for a meal and drinks in Soho on March 20, 2015.
He claimed she asked him if he had any condoms when they took an Uber car back to his home.
The filmmaker explained that the woman later asked him to take some “sexy” photos of her and did not consider them to be indecent.
He denied laying a hand on the woman and said: “My hands were on the phone and I didn’t touch her.
“She wanted me to make her look sexy.
“She knew about my work and said ‘why don’t you take some pictures of me? I’m hot too’.”
A jury of 10 men and two women found him not guilty of two counts of sexual assault after a four day trial at Isleworth Crown Court last Friday.
But they could not decide on a charge of voyeurism.
The Anguilla-born movie director was behind ‘Dreadtown-the Steel Pulse Story’ but had to start a crowd-funding campaign last year in a bid to complete the documentary.
Snoop Dogg (aka Snoop Lion), Red Hot Chilli Peppers’ drummer Chad Smith, Gwen Stefani and Bob Marley’s widow Rita were thought to be among those set to feature in the film, which is narrated by Lethal Weapon star Danny Glover.
Gal was acquitted of two counts of sexual assault.
He was bailed to return to Isleworth Crown Court on March 17 to find out if he will be retried.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.