Decision on whether to axe all PCSOs in Brent is deferred until December
PUBLISHED: 16:01 01 October 2015 | UPDATED: 16:01 01 October 2015
PA Wire/Press Association Images
Hundreds of police community support officers have received a stay of execution as Met Police bosses pushed back a decision on their fate until the end of the year.
The delay is thought to be a response to vast public opposition to the plan which would dramatically alter neighbourhood policing in London.
Scotland Yard was due to examine the drastic proposals to axe up to 1,000 PCSOs at a management board meeting last Tuesday.
The move was being considered to help meet government spending cuts of up to £800 million over the next four years.
But talks have now been rescheduled for December.
Labour London Assembly Member for Brent and Harrow Navin Shah welcomed the delay but said: “Despite this stay of execution for PCSOs it’s clear the future of local policing in the capital remains at grave risk. We cannot be complacent and will be spending the next two months making the case for neighbourhood policing in the capital.
“There is no doubt that government cuts are putting great strain on the police force, it’s time the Home Secretary understood that the decimation of neighbourhood
The options due to be considered by the Metropolitan Police Management Board were to retain 629 dedicated ward PCSO posts or remove all Neighbourhood PCSO posts.
Speaking at the London Assembly Police and Crime Committee last week, Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe said “we’ve got options on how to make savings but with that scale of savings none of them are attractive.”
Related link: ALL PCSOs in Brent are facing the axe