Cricklewood slum landlord is first to be fined under Brent Council’s licensing scheme
- Credit: Archant
A slum landlord who converted a house in Cricklewood into 10 rundown bedsits has become the first in Brent to be fined under the council’s licensing scheme.
Douglas Gerard-Reynolds rented out the unlicensed House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) property in Anson Road, to tenants who complained about inadequate heating facilities and water leaks.
Willesden Magistrates’ Court heard he ignored a legal requirement to obtain a licence for the property following rules introduced by the council on January 1.
Under the new requirements all HMO properties in the borough and rental properties located in the Harlesden, Wembley Central and Willesden Green wards must be licensed.
Gerard-Reynolds was convicted renting out a HMO without the required licence and fined £1,000.
He must also pay costs of £1,457 and victim surcharge of £100.
Spencer Randolph, head of private housing services at Brent Council said: “Landlords in Brent need to be aware of the consequences if they fail to apply for a licence.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following Maida Vale deaths
- 2 'Lucky escape': Four flee Wembley house fire where smoke alarms weren't working
- 3 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 4 Brent cycling group calls to improve rather than remove LTNs
- 5 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 6 'London’s smallest bus lane' earns Harrow Council £440,000
- 7 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 8 Stonebridge community group to keep fighting after losing Bridge Park appeal
- 9 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
- 10 'London is lagging behind – protect yourself and others from Covid'
“Landlord licensing will drive up the quality of thousands of privately rented properties in Brent and help us to protect the minority of tenants plagued by rogue landlords.”
If you are a landlord with a property in Brent that should be licensed visit www.brent.gov.uk/prslicensing