Cricklewood singer wins place in regional finals of Open Mic UK
- Credit: Archant
An aspiring singer songwriter who overcame stage fright to wow the judges at the Open Mic UK auditions said she was “amazed” to make it through to the regional finals.
Sheri Maria Ekladios from Cricklewood will perform in the live showcases of the music competition for singers and solo artists at the Beck Theatre in Hayes on October 6.
The 31-year-old, who lives in Ashford Road, said she is nervous but excited about the next round that will see her perform a cover version of My Heart is Refusing Me by Swedish pop star and Eurovision winner Loreen.
“It was originally a dance track but we have made it into an acoustic version,” explained Sheri Maria.
“I didn’t do it last year because I had stage fright but now I have the confidence to get all the way through, this is my year.
You may also want to watch:
“I do a lot of acoustic singing and I write and record for DJs that do dance tracks and for producers that do R & B (rhythm and blues) and pop songs.”
Sheri Maria uses her day job as an NHS information governance facilitator to fund her musical ambitions.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 3 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 4 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 5 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 6 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 7 Join the Craic in Cricklewood as four-day music festival returns to London
- 8 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 9 Mayhew staff cull risk as animal charity is 'restructured'
- 10 Wembley sickle cell sufferer died due to 'neglect' at Northwick Park Hospital
She said: “I want to gain exposure, to be able to write with other artists and do as much performing as I can.
“I want to be a full time singer songwriter, go touring, the whole shebang.”
If successful at the regional finals, Sheri Maria will compete at the grand final at the 02.