Cricklewood singer wins place in regional finals of Open Mic UK
- Credit: Archant
An aspiring singer songwriter who overcame stage fright to wow the judges at the Open Mic UK auditions said she was “amazed” to make it through to the regional finals.
Sheri Maria Ekladios from Cricklewood will perform in the live showcases of the music competition for singers and solo artists at the Beck Theatre in Hayes on October 6.
The 31-year-old, who lives in Ashford Road, said she is nervous but excited about the next round that will see her perform a cover version of My Heart is Refusing Me by Swedish pop star and Eurovision winner Loreen.
“It was originally a dance track but we have made it into an acoustic version,” explained Sheri Maria.
“I didn’t do it last year because I had stage fright but now I have the confidence to get all the way through, this is my year.
“I do a lot of acoustic singing and I write and record for DJs that do dance tracks and for producers that do R & B (rhythm and blues) and pop songs.”
Sheri Maria uses her day job as an NHS information governance facilitator to fund her musical ambitions.
- 1 'London’s smallest bus lane' earns Harrow Council £440,000
- 2 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 3 Below-par QPR found a way to win at Coventry says Warburton
- 4 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
- 5 Brent LTN removal set to be financed from 'existing council budgets'
- 6 Sudbury: Plan for 52 one-bed flats falls through after appeal
- 7 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 8 Residents lose appeal to save Brent leisure centre
- 9 Wembley man who used child to sell drugs due in court
- 10 Adomah's late goal wins it for QPR at Coventry
She said: “I want to gain exposure, to be able to write with other artists and do as much performing as I can.
“I want to be a full time singer songwriter, go touring, the whole shebang.”
If successful at the regional finals, Sheri Maria will compete at the grand final at the 02.