Couple jailed for carrying out Gumtree robbery in Kingsbury
Pair lured their victim after advertising a car for sale on website
A couple who robbed a man after luring him to Kingsbury on the premise of buying a car have been jailed for a total of 16 years.
Amir Zaib, 22, and Hirra Butt, 25, arranged to meet their 23-year-old victim in Eton Grove so he could inspect a car they had advertised for sale on website Gumtree in November last year.
Harrow Crown Court heard as the man sat in the car to inspect the vehicle’s paperwork Zaib held him in a bear hug and threatened him with a knife.
A third person, who is still at large, opened the car door and demanded he hand over his money before hitting him around the face and head with a wheel brace.
You may also want to watch:
The man was searched before the second robber ran over to the car where the victim’s friend was sitting.
He smashed up the driver’s window, hit the victim’s friend, and tried to search the car for money.
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 3 New QPR signing Moses Odubajo's story so far
- 4 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 5 Traffic disruption in Brent from August 2-8
- 6 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 7 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 8 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 9 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 10 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
All three fled when the victim managed to run off and raise the alarm at a nearby house.
A fortnight later, investigating officers discovered two fake guns at the couple’s address in Golders Green after they raided their home in connection with the robbery.
The pair were chargedwith two counts of attempted robbery and two counts of possession of an imitation firearm whilst being arrested for a schedule one offence.
Last week at Harrow Crown Court, Zaib was sentenced to nine years for one count of attempted robbery and the possession of an imitation firearm whilst being arrested for robbery, and Butt received seven years for the same charge.
Detective Constable James Phipps from Brent Police said: “Zaib and Butt deviously orchestrated this cowardly robbery enticing an unsuspecting member of the public to a quiet residential street to buy a car.
“I would urge any person who is considering buying a vehicle to carefully consider from whom and in what location they arrange to meet.”