Councillor to take part in marathon in Slovakia today to raise money for library campaign
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Paul Lorber will run the Bratislava race in aid of Friends of Barham Library
A councillor and campaigner is bravely taking on the cold to compete in his first ever marathon in aid of his volunteer library today.
Cllr Paul Lorber, leader of the borough’s Liberal Democrats group, is in Slovakia to take part in Bratislava marathon to raise money for Friends of Barham Library.
Cllr Lorber, who was born in Slovakia, will be taking on the 26-mile challenge despite parts of the country being swamped in a foot of snow this week.
The challenge – which has so far raised more than £1,000 – will go towards the campaign group Friends of Barham Library (FOBL) who are trying to raise the funds to eventually reopen Barham Library.
You may also want to watch:
The reading room, in Barham Park, was one of six shut down by Brent Council in October 2011.
FOBL have now been campaigning for two years for their library and currently run a volunteer Library and bookshop from shop premises at 428 Wembley High Road.
- 1 Men jailed after Leon Maxwell gunned down in Queensbury
- 2 Human remains found in Neasden believed to be missing Agnes Akom
- 3 Appeal for information after man shot in Stonebridge
- 4 Search continues for Agnes Akom after human remains found in Neasden
- 5 Two arrests after man shot and teenager stabbed in Queen's Park
- 6 'Piercing scream' heard night two sisters killed in Kingsbury park
- 7 Mass vaccination event taking place at Bridge Park Community Centre
- 8 Jailed: Dollis Hill man who had submachine gun, over £200k cash and drugs
- 9 Man to appear at Old Bailey charged with murder of missing Agnes Akom
- 10 'I had to develop a thick skin': England's first black footballer Benjamin Odeje on encountering racism
Joining Cllr Lorber is Wembley’s own Ironman Peter Corcoran a veteran of numerous marathon challenges.
He said: “Paul has been training very hard through the long winter and is determined to finish his Marathon especially since the organisers have changed the route so that it now passes his old home in Bratislava”.
Supporters can also get involved by guessing Cllr Lorber’s finishing time.
The 10 people guessing a time closest will be able to pick a free book of their choice from Friends of Barham Library large collection.
To make a donation go to www.virginmoneygiving/paullorber.