Search

Carlton Tavern could be reopened in April according to workers rebuilding demolished pub

PUBLISHED: 17:00 07 December 2018

Carlton Tavern, November 2018 Picture: Polly Hancock

Carlton Tavern, November 2018 Picture: Polly Hancock

Archant

The Carlton Tavern could be reopened in April, nine months after the planning inspectorate told them to rebuild it.

Maida Vale councillor Geoff Barraclough tweeted the news on Thursday morning after a chat with builders on the site, who were hoping to have the work completed by April.

Cllr Barraclough said: “If it goes ahead and does re-open, then it will be a big victory for the community. It will also be a big victory for Westminster Council, as it is the first time it has taken this action.”

The pub, in Carlton Vale, is currently listed for sale by estate agent David Coffer Lyons (DCL).

Rob Cope, of Friends of the Carlton Tavern welcomed the news, but was cautious about how much progress was being made.

He said: “It’s good news, but it’s difficult to judge how much work has been done. They put up the advertising board up when work started, but we could still see if work was going on through hedges at the back. Now they’ve blocked that up.

“They seem to be doing what we wanted, so why are they being so quiet about it?”

He called for CLTX to be more open on the process, and to let people on to the site to see how building was going.

“We don’t know what bricks they’re using. They should be inviting people in to see it for themselves”

The pub’s Tel Aviv-based owners, CLTX, triggered outrage when they bulldozed the venue without any prior warning or permission in 2015. The company is owned by Israeli lawyer Ori Calif.

Prior to the shock demolition, Westminster City Council had previously rejected an application to knock it down and replace it with a bar and block of flats.

The planning inspectorate backed the council’s decision to tell CLTX that the pub had to be rebuilt brick-by-brick by July this year. Months on, work is still ongoing, but a roof has now been erected on the pub. The council was believed to be considering legal action over the delays, and is monitoring the reconstruction work.

Westminster City Council’s planning chief Richard Beddoe said: “We’re encouraged that construction is ongoing at the Carlton Tavern site. “It has been a long battle to ensure the pub is rebuilt brick by brick. However, it is also clear that our enforcement notice, insisting that work was completed within two years, has not been complied with, and as such we are considering whether any further action should be taken.”

CLTX, and DCL have both been contacted for comment.

Most Read

Latest from the Kilburn Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists