Councillor pleads guilty to fraud
by Alex Wellman A councillor is facing political ruin after he pleaded guilty to 11 counts of fraud. Cllr Vijay Shah, Wembley Central ward, changed his plea to guilty at St Albans Crown Court on Wednesday following the 11 charges of finan
by Alex Wellman
A councillor is facing political ruin after he pleaded guilty to 11 counts of fraud.
Cllr Vijay Shah, Wembley Central ward, changed his plea to guilty at St Albans Crown Court on Wednesday following the 11 charges of financial fraud.
Cllr Shah, 45, of Clayton Avenue, Wembley, who initially refuted the allegations, was arrested in March 2008 on suspicion of fraud by abuse of position in relation to a company in Hertfordshire.
Following the arrest Cllr Shah was booted out of his party, the Liberal Democrats, but continued as an independent member of Brent Council.
Cllr Shah will return to St Albans Crown Court on May 13 for sentencing.
- 1 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 2 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 3 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 4 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 5 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 6 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 7 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 8 QPR ground name to revert to Loftus Road for 2022-23
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
Read reactions and follow developments in this story in this website, on Facebook by becoming a friend of Willesden Brent Times and on Twitter by following WBTimes.