Council launches search for diabetes community champions
- Credit: Archant
Brent has a higher population of residents with Type 2 diabetes than any other borough but the council hope a new initiative will reduce that.
It is estimated that 549,000 people in the UK currently suffer with Type 2 diabetes without knowing it. A number of those will inevitably be living alongside the 25,178 confirmed patients in Brent.
Cllr Krupesh Hirani, Cabinet Member for Community Wellbeing, said: “The risk of developing Type 2 diabetes can be significantly reduced through healthy living such as eating well and being active.
“Early diagnosis and self-care are also vital to staying healthy when living with Type 2 diabetes. By the time they are diagnosed, over 50% of people with Type 2 diabetes are already showing signs of complications.
“Diabetes is a really serious condition and the severity of it is not well understood. This has to change!”
Brent Council has announced it is working in partnership with Diabetes UK to recruit and train between 15 and 20 borough residents as volunteer diabetes community champions.
These champions will be taught about the signs, symptoms and risk factors associated with the condition and how individuals can reduce their risk of getting diabetes.
- 1 Dogs kill 'much-loved pet' in Brent park attack
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 4 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 5 Wembley man, 18, used schoolboy to sell drug-infused sweets
- 6 Three men charged with attempted murder following Wembley shooting
- 7 ULEZ anomaly at Wembley Ikea meaning no £12.50-a-day emission fee
- 8 Possible travel disruptions in north London this week
- 9 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 10 Brent woman jailed for 'horrific' acid attack
They will then be equipped to raise awareness at local events, amongst friends and family, throughout the local community and signpost to local Brent services.
A welcome workshop will be held on February 28 2017 for those interested in becoming a champion. For further information or an application form email: email@example.com ; call 0800 138 1639 or 020 8424 1833 or apply at: forms.diabetes.org.uk/Brent