Consistent Gary keeps the shirt
By Ben Kosky QPR boss Jim Magilton has no plans to search for another left-back following Gary Borrow-dale s consistent start to the season, writes Ben Kosky. Magilton was considering alternatives during pre-season, with former Liverpool defender Gregory
By Ben Kosky
QPR boss Jim Magilton has no plans to search for another left-back following Gary Borrow-dale's consistent start to the season, writes Ben Kosky.
Magilton was considering alternatives during pre-season, with former Liverpool defender Gregory Vignal joining Rangers on trial and Matthew Connolly starting several games at left-back.
But Borrowdale, who was frozen out under Magilton's predecessor Paulo Sousa, has been ever-present for the Rs this season and appears to have made the position his own.
You may also want to watch:
"Gary's done well, he's getting fitter and he's looked solid," Magilton told the Times. "I think there's a lot more to come from him.
"I came in with very much an open mind. If lads come in and do well they're going to stay in the side and Gary's been given an opportunity that he's grasped.
- 1 Photographer seeks people he took pictures of in the early 1990s
- 2 Daughter buys winning Set For Life lottery ticket for mum's birthday
- 3 Wembley business man wins £120,000 National Lottery prize
- 4 The road closures to look out for as Euro 2020 kicks off at Wembley
- 5 Resident calls for 'slum launderette' to be taken off Neasden street
- 6 Man accused of sisters' double murder was 'confused' upon arrest
- 7 Man in hospital following shooting in Neasden
- 8 Man arrested after Harlesden stabbing
- 9 Appeal after passengers assaulted on buses in Cricklewood
- 10 Teenager killed sisters in 'sacrifice' deal with the devil, court hears
"I've spoken to people who had worked with him and they gave me only good reports, so I didn't get sidetracked by what had happened to him last year."
The 24-year-old defender, who began his career with Crystal Palace, was signed from Championship rivals Coventry in a �700,000 switch midway through last season.
But Borrowdale never made a first-team appearance under Sousa and was loaned to Brighton, helping them to avoid relegation to League Two.
Meanwhile, teenage striker Antonio German has joined League Two side Aldershot Town on loan for a month.
The 17-year-old made three first-team appearances for QPR last season.