Community library in Wembley launches summer reading campaign
- Credit: Archant
Bookworms can pick up a paperback from Friends of Barham Library for 50p
A community library has launched a month of summer reading to mark the first anniversary of their opening.
The campaign by Friends of Barham Library (FOBL) aims to encourage as many people as possible to enjoy books over the next few months.
Participants can pick up a paperback book from the reading room, which is run by volunteers, in High Road, Wembley, for a donation of 50p from July 11 until August 10.
FOBL was established after Brent Council axed half of the borough’s libraries as part of a cost-cutting exercise.
You may also want to watch:
Barham, Cricklewood, Neasden, Kensal Rise, Tokyngton and Preston libraries were closed to save £1million.
Cllr Paul Lorber, FOBL member and leader of Brent Liberal Democrats, said: “We are keen to celebrate our first year in a positive way by encouraging as many people as possible to read a book over the summer.
- 1 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 2 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 3 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 4 Hospitality Day: Your favourite restaurant... REVEALED
- 5 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 6 Hospitality Day: Your favourite Brent cafe revealed
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
- 9 'Erratic, violent' man given indefinite hospital order for killing 'friendly' neighbour in Wembley
- 10 How shared ownership is helping first-time buyers step onto the property ladder in the capital
“We are slashing the cost of reading and the 50p donation per book will all go towards the costs of the reopened Library in Barham Park.”
Since FOBL opened their library in August last year they have received thousands of book donations from hundreds of residents.
FOBL have raised the £25,000 needed to make a bid for the closed branch in the last year but it was turned down by the council.
The library is based at 428 High Road, and is open on Mondays and Wednesdays from noon to 5pm, and Saturdays from 11am to 5pm.
A series of events will take place at the library in the run up to its first anniversary.
Donations to Friends of Barham Library can be made at virginmoneygiving/barhamlibrary.