Cockroach infestation closes down restaurant in Wembley
- Credit: Archant
A vegetarian restaurant in Wembley has been closed down after a cockroach infestation was discovered on its premises.
Chennai Dosa in Wembley High Road, has been served with a hygiene emergency prohibition notice after environmental officers made the shock find last week.
A previous visit by inspectors in February this year ruled the eatery was ‘broadly compliant with food safety legislation’ and ‘more effort required to meet all legal requirement’.
The order, which is granted by a magistrate, is served when a premises is deemed to pose a risk to public health.
The restaurant, which opened in 2006, has had previous brushes with environmental officers.
In June shortly after opening, it was closed with immediate effect after the council found uncovered a string of unhygienic practises including food being stored next to open drains and no pest control measures in place.
The owners at the time were ordered to pay costs of £2,063 to Brent Council and the restaurant was allowed to reopen following a clean-up.
- 1 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 2 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 3 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 4 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 7 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 8 Man due in court over Wembley murder
- 9 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 10 Unarmed boy stabbed to death in his home by group ‘out for blood’, court told
However, a year later in August 2007 the owners were fined
£5,000 and ordered to pay a further £5,000 in costs after plead guilty to four charges brought against them.
They included not maintaining the premises in good repair, not protecting food against contamination and not having a food safety management system.
It is unknown if Chennai Dosa will reopen.