Charity event being held to commemorate tenth anniversary of Brent MP’s death
- Credit: Archant
Paul Daisley died from colon cancer at the age of 45
A fundraising gala is being held in memory of a Brent MP on the tenth anniversary of his death.
Paul Daisley, the Labour MP for Brent East, lost his battle with bowel cancer in June 2003 at the age of 45.
His widow Lesley, who lives in Queen’s Park, established the Paul Daisley Trust five months later.
The charity raises awareness of bowel cancer, encourages early diagnosis and aims to help people suffering from it and their family.
It also works closely with organisations such as Cancer Research and local hospices, providing equipment such as chemotherapy pumps and home physiotherapy services.
To date the trust has raised more than £100,000 through an annual cricket match, home parties, donations and other events.
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 3 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 4 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 5 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 6 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 7 Man due in court over Wembley murder
- 8 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 9 Unarmed boy stabbed to death in his home by group ‘out for blood’, court told
- 10 London among areas where drought is declared
The gala, who hopes to raise thousands of pounds, includes dinner with wines, live music and a silent auction.
Mrs Daisley told the Times: “This is a chance to celebrate 10 years of helping other people as well as commemorating 10 years since Paul died.
“He was an inspiration when he was alive and he continues to be an inspiration.
“Paul always enjoys a good time so this evening will be very special and enjoyable.”
The event is being held at the five star Grange City Hotel, 8 – 14 Coppers’s Row, Tower Bridge, London, on June 14.
Tickets cost £100 with £40 going to the trust.
For more information email PDaisleyTrust@aol.com or call 0208 968 4340.