Champion swimmer celebrates her 100th birthday with the Mayor of Brent
Cllr Aslam Choudry helped Sybil Woods celebrate her special milestone
A centenarian was treated to a special visit when the Mayor of Brent popped into her housing court to help her celebrate a special milestone.
Sybil Woods, a resident of Young Court in Willesden Lane, Kilburn, had the surprise VIP visitor as she celebratedreaching her 100th birthday yesterday (16).
Cllr Aslam Choudry joined in the celebrations in his last full day in office.
Mrs Woods was treated to cake and snacks and was given a birthday card signed by fellow residents.
Her daughter, Marilyn, said her mother had a ‘wonderful time’.
The 67-year-old told the Times: “It was wonderful and great for her to be able to celebrate.
- 1 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 2 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 3 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 4 Second man charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 5 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
- 6 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 7 Jailed: 7 north London offenders put behind bars in April
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Report shows how much councils spend on electric vehicle chargers
- 10 ‘Hello, Wembley’: New stage launch kicks off summer of live music
“She really enjoyed meeting the mayor and it was great for him to find the time to come and join the celebrations.”
In her youth Mrs Woods was a former champion swimmer who won various medals competing at a London wide level.
In her career she also worked as a secretary and PA to Baroness Muriel Turner, a former Labour politician.
She has been a resident of Young Court for 20 years.
Young Court is owned and managed by Jewish Community Housing Association, JCHA, who said they were ‘delighted’ to provide a special celebration for Sybil.
A spokesman said: “The Jewish Community Housing Association were delighted to host a 100th birthday party for Sybil Woods.
“She attributes her longevity to being happy and exercising and she still attends a weekly yoga class.”