Champion swimmer celebrates her 100th birthday with the Mayor of Brent
Cllr Aslam Choudry helped Sybil Woods celebrate her special milestone
A centenarian was treated to a special visit when the Mayor of Brent popped into her housing court to help her celebrate a special milestone.
Sybil Woods, a resident of Young Court in Willesden Lane, Kilburn, had the surprise VIP visitor as she celebratedreaching her 100th birthday yesterday (16).
Cllr Aslam Choudry joined in the celebrations in his last full day in office.
Mrs Woods was treated to cake and snacks and was given a birthday card signed by fellow residents.
You may also want to watch:
Her daughter, Marilyn, said her mother had a ‘wonderful time’.
The 67-year-old told the Times: “It was wonderful and great for her to be able to celebrate.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 3 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 4 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 5 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 6 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 7 Join the Craic in Cricklewood as four-day music festival returns to London
- 8 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 9 Mayhew staff cull risk as animal charity is 'restructured'
- 10 Estranged husband who set wife on fire in Stonebridge jailed
“She really enjoyed meeting the mayor and it was great for him to find the time to come and join the celebrations.”
In her youth Mrs Woods was a former champion swimmer who won various medals competing at a London wide level.
In her career she also worked as a secretary and PA to Baroness Muriel Turner, a former Labour politician.
She has been a resident of Young Court for 20 years.
Young Court is owned and managed by Jewish Community Housing Association, JCHA, who said they were ‘delighted’ to provide a special celebration for Sybil.
A spokesman said: “The Jewish Community Housing Association were delighted to host a 100th birthday party for Sybil Woods.
“She attributes her longevity to being happy and exercising and she still attends a weekly yoga class.”