Champion swimmer celebrates her 100th birthday with the Mayor of Brent
Cllr Aslam Choudry helped Sybil Woods celebrate her special milestone
A centenarian was treated to a special visit when the Mayor of Brent popped into her housing court to help her celebrate a special milestone.
Sybil Woods, a resident of Young Court in Willesden Lane, Kilburn, had the surprise VIP visitor as she celebratedreaching her 100th birthday yesterday (16).
Cllr Aslam Choudry joined in the celebrations in his last full day in office.
Mrs Woods was treated to cake and snacks and was given a birthday card signed by fellow residents.
You may also want to watch:
Her daughter, Marilyn, said her mother had a ‘wonderful time’.
The 67-year-old told the Times: “It was wonderful and great for her to be able to celebrate.
- 1 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 2 London elections 2021 live: Latest Brent results as they come in
- 3 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 4 Stop and search order placed on parts of Brent due to 'gang tensions'
- 5 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 6 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 7 Travellers eviction from Dollis Hill road highlights needs for sites
- 8 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 9 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 10 Labour wins Brondesbury Park in tightly contested by-election
“She really enjoyed meeting the mayor and it was great for him to find the time to come and join the celebrations.”
In her youth Mrs Woods was a former champion swimmer who won various medals competing at a London wide level.
In her career she also worked as a secretary and PA to Baroness Muriel Turner, a former Labour politician.
She has been a resident of Young Court for 20 years.
Young Court is owned and managed by Jewish Community Housing Association, JCHA, who said they were ‘delighted’ to provide a special celebration for Sybil.
A spokesman said: “The Jewish Community Housing Association were delighted to host a 100th birthday party for Sybil Woods.
“She attributes her longevity to being happy and exercising and she still attends a weekly yoga class.”