Celebrity and Harlesden resident Pete Burns dies aged 57
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Celebrity and Harlesden resident Pete Burns has died of a cardiac arrest at the age of 57.
Mr Burns, who died on Sunday, rose to fame in the 80s with his band Dead Or Alive, known for the 1985 track You Spin Me Round and in recent years he also appeared on reality television shows such as Celebrity Big Brother, Celebrity Wife Swap and The Body Shocking Show.
He moved into Harlesden a few years ago and became a colourful character of the community.
A resident who asked not to be named said she often saw him drinking in pubs in Harlesden, and he was always ‘very friendly’.
She said: “He was a really nice guy and very friendly but you could see he had a troubled soul.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s really sad news to hear he has died and at such a young age. Very sad.”
Born in Cheshire in 1959, Mr Burns said he had an unconventional childhood and started experimenting with his look at an early age.
- 1 'It's heartbreaking': Volunteer slams Mayhew Animal Charity plans
- 2 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 5 'Unacceptable' failings in Met's handling of missing sisters
- 6 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 7 'Universal credit cut is the worst possible decision at the worst possible time'
- 8 Brent Council ordered to apologise and pay wheelchair user £27,000
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
He launched his music career after finding work in a record shop in his teens, but early bands failed to hit the big time.
He founded Dead Or Alive in 1985 and they went on to enjoy a string of successful singles, including number one You Spin Me Round.
Paying tribute on Twitter, Culture Club singer Boy George said: “Tearful about the passing of @PeteBurnsICON he was one of our great true eccentrics and such a big part of my life! Wow. Hard to believe!”
Marilyn said he was shocked as he saw Burns recently.
“Absolute shock at the news of Pete Burns death ... only just saw him ... my sincerest wishes to his family, friends, and fans,” he wrote on Twitter.
George Galloway, who shared the Celebrity Big Brother House with Burns in 2006, said he was “brilliant”.
He tweeted: “Sad to hear of the demise of Pete Burns. He was a cross between Oscar Wilde and Dorothy Parker. You don’t get more brilliant than that. RIP.”
The statement from his management on Twitter said: “It is with the greatest sadness that we have to break the tragic news that our beloved Pete Burns of (Dead Or Alive), died suddenly of a massive cardiac arrest.
“All of his family and friends are devastated by the loss of our special star.
“He was a true visionary, a beautiful talented soul, and he will be missed by all who loved and appreciated everything he was and all of the wonderful memories he has left us with.
“We have no more words, we will make a further statement when we have had a chance to come to terms with our devastating loss.
“He will live forever in our memories.
“Sending you all our love. Lynne, Michael, Steve.”
Mr Burns married Lynne Corlett in Liverpool in 1980 and they divorced in 2006.
He went on to marry Michael Simpson in 2007, where he dressed as a geisha.
Are you a neighbour or friend of Mr Burns and would like to pay tribute?
Email email@example.com or call 020 7433 0133.