Celebrities turn up at Hyde Park event to support The Mayhew Animal home
- Credit: Archant
Kensal Green charity gets the thumbs up from an array of well-known faces
An array of celebrities turned out in full force yesterday to support a dog show event thrown by an animal charity based in Kensal Green.
The Mayhew Animal Home in Trenmar Gardens, hosted their annual Hyde Bark event on Hyde Park to raise awareness and funds for the creatures in their care.
many famous faces turned up to judge on the day including comedian Ricky Gervais, actress Imelda Staunton and her actor husband Jim carter, fellow thespian Helen George and television presenter and renowned birdwatcher Bill Oddie.
Other celebrities spotted in the crowd to show their support included model Caprice and presenter Gail Porter.
Dog owners and their faithful four-legged friends turned up in droves to enter their dogs in the categories throughout the day and Mr Gervais had a tough time selecting the winner of the Sweetest Staffie category.
Mr Gervais, an award-winning funnyman and writer, has been a long-time supporter of the rescue centre and is famous for his public declarations of love of all animals and his commitment to raising awareness for their welfare.
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 3 Dramatic Dieng equaliser sums up 'crazy game' for QPR boss Beale
- 4 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 5 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 6 Goalkeeper Dieng nets late equaliser to save QPR at Sunderland
- 7 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 8 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 9 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 10 'Dangerous' uni student jailed for 38 years for 'random' knife attacks
Other judges on the day included Downton Abbey Actors, Peter Egan and Lesley Nicol, TV presenter Wendy Turner Webster, TV vet Marc Abraham and BBC Radio presenters JoAnne Good and Anna Webb.
Ms George, who currently stars in Call the Midwife, said: It was amazing to meet all the dogs entering the show and my own two dogs enjoyed all the fantastic canine fun and games that The Mayhew arranged for our four legged friends.”
Thanking everyone for their support, Caroline Yates, The Mayhew’s CEO, said: “The turnout to our event was simply fantastic, we couldn’t have wanted for more. The support of our celebrity judges and attendees means that we can let so many more people know about our animals in need.
“We are overwhelmed with homeless dogs and cats at present and so sharing awareness of our charity is absolutely vital at this time and we can’t thank them enough.”
For more information about The Mayhew call 020 8969 0178 or visit www.themayhew.org.