Calls renewed for Willesden councillor who moved to Brighton to resign

Cllr Rev David Clues has held on to his Dudden Hill seat despite living 80 miles away

Calls have been renewed for a Brent councillor who moved 80 miles away to give up his seat.

Cllr Rev David Clues, the sole Liberal Democrat councillor for the Dudden Hill ward, has refused to resign despite relocating to a church in Brighton last December..

In January, the Times exclusively revealed he had moved from St Marys Church in Neasden Lane, Willesden, to St Bartholomew’s Church in Brighton.

Jugal Mehta, chairman of Neasden Neighbourhood Watch who lives in Cairnfield Avenue, has called on him to give up his seat, claiming ward residents have ‘forgotten all about him’.

He said: “I have known David for more than eight years but unfortunately during the last two years I have hardly seen him or had any meetings with him.

“Even he would not respond to my emails or telephone calls.

Most Read

“Most of the residents had similar views about him. I think its time for him to resign.”

Under current rules, Cllr Rev Clues can keep his seat providing he attends one meeting every six months.

While he continues to be a councillor he is also entitled to an annual allowance of �7,974.

Cllr Rev Clues failed to return calls from the Times but he had previously said he would give up his seat in the summer.

Cllr Krupesh Hirani, one of the two Labour Dudden Hill councillors, said many residents had expressed concerns to him.

He added: “It is extremely frustrating having an inactive third councillor but calling a by-election is in the hands of Lib Dem hierarchy and Cllr Rev Clues and is something that is completely out of our hands.”

A spokesman for Brent’ Lib Dem party told the Times Cllr Rev Clues’ attendance record is publically available on the council’s website.

He added: “It shows he attends and speaks up for Dudden Hill residents at full council and at the Partnership and Place Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

“Cllr Rev Clues continues to deal with enquiries and take up residents’ concerns with council officers.”