Building boss fined for using unregistered gas installer
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A building boss who paid an unregistered gas fitter to install a boiler which was so dangerously completed it could have killed has been fined £2,000.
Rajveer Goraya, who trades as Taj Construction, subcontracted the worker without checking his qualifications or if he was Gas Safe registered as required by law.
A subsequence examination of the installation by a Gas safety inspector revealed a water isolation valve, commonly used on washing machines, had been used to act as the gas stop valve.
The safety risk was so high that the installation was categorised as ‘immediately dangerous’ and the client was warned not to use the boiler until remedial work had been carried out.
Goraya pleaded guilty to failing to exercise professional diligence following a prosecution by Brent Council.
David Thrale, head of regulatory services at Brent Council, said: “It is a legal requirement for any gas works to be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.
“We would encourage all traders and consumers to check the identity of any person carrying out gas works by simply visiting the Gas Safe website and checking the fitter’s registration details”.
- 1 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 2 Dogs kill 'much-loved pet' in Brent park attack
- 3 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 4 Wembley man, 18, used schoolboy to sell drug-infused sweets
- 5 Three men charged with attempted murder following Wembley shooting
- 6 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 7 ULEZ anomaly at Wembley Ikea meaning no £12.50-a-day emission fee
- 8 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 9 Possible travel disruptions in north London this week
- 10 Brent woman jailed for 'horrific' acid attack