Bristol City 2 Queens Park Rangers 0: QPR go down at 10-man Robins

Queens Park Rangers manager Ian Holloway (pic: Adam Davy/PA)

Queens Park Rangers manager Ian Holloway (pic: Adam Davy/PA) - Credit: PA Wire/PA Images

SKy Bet Championship: Bristol City 2 (Diedhiou 45+1, Bryan 66) Queens Park Rangers 0

Queens Park Rangers slipped to a second consecutive defeat in the Championship after going down at Bristol City, who spent much of the game down to 10 men.

Despite the Robins having a man sent off midway through the first half, the Rs trailed at the interval.

The hosts were able to double their lead in the second period, with the west Londoners unable to muster anything in reply.

QPR made just one change following last weekend’s defeat at home to Middlesbrough, with Alex Baptiste replacing Joel Lynch in defence.

After a fairly quiet opening at Ashton Gate, the west Londoners were given what seemed to be a boost in the 32nd minute when Lee Johnson’s side were reduced to 10 men.

A late tackle from Nathan Baker on Josh Scowen drew the ire of referee Keith Stroud, who sent the home defender off for an early bath.

Most Read

Despite having a man advantage, the Rs needed a block from skipper Nedum Onuoha in the 39th minute to keep out a volley from Jamie Paterson.

Holloway’s men then fell behind in stoppage time at the end of the first half, with Famara Diedhiou putting the hosts in front.

The goal would have been a hammer blow for the Loftus Road outfit, conceding so close to the break which would have changed Holloway’s team talk.

Youngster Aramide Oteh nearly got the Rs level in the 53rd minute when latching onto a through ball, but fired wide of the far post.

Nine minutes later, a fine save from Alex Smithies prevented the visitors from falling further behind, pushing a Korey Smith effort behind for a corner.

Keen to make the most of their let off, the Rs went close twice in quick succession in the 63rd minute.

First, Oteh was narrowly unable to get on the end of a ball from striker partner Conor Washington, with substitute Matt Smith then heading over.

It proved a costly miss as just three minutes later, the Robins doubled their advantage when Joe Bryan scored on the rebound after Smithies saved from Diedhiou.

The Rs almost produced an immediate reply, but Oteh saw his effort kept out by Luke Steele in the City goal in the 68th minute.

With eight minutes remaining, Onuoha narrowly flicked a shot from Luongo pass the post as the visitors looked for a route back into the game.

That proved to be one of the last times QPR would trouble the Robins defence, with the hosts seeing out the remainder of the game without too much incident.

Holloway will want to see a better display from his side next Saturday when they host Barnsley.

Bristol C (4-4-2): Steele; Wright, Flint, Baker, Bryan; Kent (Magnusson 64), Smith, Pack, Paterson (Brownill 64); Reid, Diedhiou (Diony 74).

Subs: Wollacott (GK), Walsh, Woodrow, Eliasson.

Sent off: Baker 32

QPR (3-5-2): Smithies; Baptiste (Smith 46), Onuoha, Robinson; Furlong (Osayi-Samuel 74), Luongo, Scowen, Freeman, Bidwell; Oteh (Eze 74), Washington.

Subs: Ingram (GK), Lynch, Manning, Perch,

Referee: Keith Stroud.

Attendance: 21,492