Brighton based Neasden councillor has no plans to give up his seat a year after moving
Cllr Rev David Clues left his constituency last December
A vicar and councillor has no plans to give up his seat despite having lived more than 80 miles way from his Neasden constituency for a year.
Cllr Rev David Clues, a Liberal Democrat councillor for the Dudden Hill Ward moved to Brighton on the south coast, last December.
Cllr Rev Clues, a former vicar at St Mary’s Church in Neasden Lane moved to take up duties at St Bartholomew’s Church in Brighton.
However, unless he gives up his seat, Cllr Rev Clues can continue to claim his councillor’s allowance of �7,974 per year, provided he attends one meeting every six months.
According Brent Council’s official attendance figures Cllr Rev Clues has attended just over half his scheduled meetings since his departure but was absent from the most recent full council meeting, a crucial first reading and debate of the upcoming budget.
In a statement released to the Times through the Liberal Democrat’s group office Cllr Rev Clues said: “The Church of England has transferred my work to a parish in Brighton.
- 1 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 2 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 3 Harlesden shop fire 'caused by barbecue'
- 4 Most wanted: 7 people sought in connection with 11 robberies across London
- 5 Complaints of 'chaos' after Harry Styles' Wembley gigs
- 6 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
- 7 Jailed: Kilburn man linked to 8 knifepoint robberies in St John's Wood area
- 8 Injured moped driver appeal after Dollis Hill collision
- 9 Plea date set for men accused of fatal stabbing in Neasden
- 10 Neasden stabbing: Man charged with St Raphael's estate murder
“I continue to maintain my links with Neasden and carry out my council duties.”
The Dudden Hill ward was previously held exclusively by the Liberal Democrats until the council elections in 2010, when only Cllr Rev Clues managed to keep his seat.
Unlike the two Labour Dudden Hill councillors, Cllr Rev Clues does not hold scheduled surgeries in his ward and under current rules he is not obliged to.
According to his profile on Brent Council’s website, residents are invited to contact him by phone or email so he can make an individual appointment for them
What do you think? Should Cllr Rev Clues resign? Call the news desk on 0207 433 6244 or email email@example.com