Brent Young Advisors scoop award for sexual health project in Stonebridge
- Credit: Archant
A group of young people in Brent have won an award for a sexual health initiative that they have set up in Stonebridge.
The Brent Young Advisors team scooped the Partnership of the Year title at the national Young Advisors Awards for their scheme which aims to normalise the idea of getting tested regularly.
The advisors, who are aged from 15 to 24, teamed up with sexual health charity Terrence Higgins Trust to run the project which is run from Hyde’s Pavilion Sports Centre in Stonebridge.
It has transformed the way that young people using the facilities at the Pavilion think about sexual health.
Sabrina Newell, one of the advisors, said: “The boys that play football every week were initially reluctant to talk about sexual health or consider getting tested, but now there is often a queue! “We’ve run more than 20 sessions and completed around 60 tests – it’s not a taboo topic like it used to be.”
You may also want to watch:
The initiative was set up a year ago with the support of Hyde’s community investment team.
Hyde is the housing group that manages a majority of the homes on the Stonebridge Estate.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 3 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 4 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 5 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 6 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 7 'We're angry': London councillors demand Met tackles violence to women
- 8 FA Cup defeat ranks among one of the most 'gutting' for Wealdstone
- 9 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 10 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
Jahanara Hussain, Hyde Plus head of community investment said: “I’m delighted that the dedication, enthusiasm, hard work and commitment of the Brent Young Advisors has been recognised at national level.
“Hyde is proud to support this pioneering project that makes a big difference to the lives of our young residents in Brent.’
For more information about the team visit brent.youngadvisors.org.uk.