Brent to welcome Olympic Torch next July
Supporters will line streets to celebrate landmark day
The date has been set for when Brent will welcome the Olympic Torch Relay to the borough.
The Olympic Torch will be carried by Torchbearers through the borough on Wednesday, July 25, 2012.
The date was revealed today by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG).
Cllr Ann John OBE, leader of Brent Council, said: “Welcoming the Olympic Flame and witnessing the spectacle of the Olympic Torch Relay will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most of us.
“I know Brent residents will be joining me on July 25 in supporting those who have been chosen to run with the Olympic Flame, cheering them on and joining in the countdown to the start of the Games.”
Sebastian Coe, Chair of LOCOG said; “We are thrilled to confirm that Brent will act as a host location for the Olympic Flame on 25 July 2012, extending an invitation to people across the borough to welcome the Olympic Torch Relay during its journey around the UK.”
- 1 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 2 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 3 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 4 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
- 5 Harlesden shop fire 'caused by barbecue'
- 6 Complaints of 'chaos' after Harry Styles' Wembley gigs
- 7 Most wanted: 7 people sought in connection with 11 robberies across London
- 8 Neasden stabbing: Man charged with St Raphael's estate murder
- 9 Plea date set for men accused of fatal stabbing in Neasden
- 10 Jailed: Kilburn man linked to 8 knifepoint robberies in St John's Wood area
Further details on the route the Olympic Flame will take will be announced nearer to the event.