Brent to lead the way in diabetes testing and awareness
- Credit: Archant
Borough is set to have the first pharmacy counter dedicated solely to the condition
Brent is set to have the first dedicated diabetes counter in the country at a Wembley pharmacy.
The counter, known as a Hot Desk, will offer free diabetes testing and dietary and lifestyle advice.
It will be based in S&S in Harrow Road, and has been created by Silver Star, a national charity.
Launched in 2007, Silver Star campaigns for diabetes awareness.
You may also want to watch:
The Charity runs Mobile Diabetes Units that carry out important diabetes testing and promote culturally sensitive healthcare, with particular regard to the high prevalence of diabetes in the major towns and cities of Britain.
The units travel to local community centres, schools, work places and other organisations. Silver Star has so far tested more than 30,000 people.
- 1 Daughter buys winning Set For Life lottery ticket for mum's birthday
- 2 Photographer seeks people he took pictures of in the early 1990s
- 3 Wembley business man wins £120,000 National Lottery prize
- 4 The road closures to look out for as Euro 2020 kicks off at Wembley
- 5 Man accused of sisters' double murder was 'confused' upon arrest
- 6 Resident calls for 'slum launderette' to be taken off Neasden street
- 7 Father's Day 2021: Authors from Kingsbury and Kilburn share experiences of being a dad
- 8 Appeal after passengers assaulted on buses in Cricklewood
- 9 Man in hospital following shooting in Neasden
- 10 Man arrested after Harlesden stabbing
Brent has some of the highest levels of Diabetes in the country with some wards well above the national average.
The Hot Desk was officially launched this week by Cllr Muhammed Butt, leader of Brent Council and Keith Vaz MP.
Cllr Butt said: “I am delighted that the first Diabetes Hot Desk will be in Wembley. I look forward to taking the test. I hope all will do so.”