Brent’s top cop reveals Met Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe will host road show in Wembley
- Credit: Archant
I had the pleasure of hosting my first commendation ceremony as Brent’s Borough Commander on June 27.
We were lucky enough to be able to use our borough’s most iconic site for the occasion – Wembley Stadium. The venue certainly added the gravitas required for such a special event.
The awarding of commendations is my way of recognising the exceptional pieces of work, where both police officers and members of the public have gone above and beyond what we expect of them and made our borough a safer place to live.
We were honoured to have the High Sheriff of Greater London, Kevin McGrath, as our guest.
I think we were humbled to hear some of the stories and pleased we had the opportunity to take a moment and say “thank you” to those officers who went the extra mile, quite often to the detriment of their own safety.
You may also want to watch:
As I said, it’s not just about recognising our officers; I also awarded commendations to members of the public. Abdi Ali and Abdillahi Sheikh Mohamed were recognised for their public spirit, honesty and bravery. They were instrumental in the seizure of nearly £100,000 in cash – proceeds of criminal activity.
I also commended Dave Verma, from Brent Council. Dave has been brilliant in working with us to combat fraud in relation to fraudulent use of disabled parking permits.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 3 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 4 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 5 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 6 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 7 Join the Craic in Cricklewood as four-day music festival returns to London
- 8 Dawn Butler calls for MP security 'overhaul' after death of David Amess
- 9 Noise abatement notice served against 'silent disco'
- 10 Estranged husband who set wife on fire in Stonebridge jailed
In all, I commended 40 of my officers. They get a certificate and a pat on the back from me. I think it’s really important to go out of our way sometimes and to tell them I’m genuinely thankful for their efforts.
I’d love to go in to detail about all my officers’ achievements and really highlight the efforts they go to everyday,but I haven’t got enough space!
Next Wednesday the Commissioner, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, will be hosting one of his road show events at Alperton Community School, Stanley Avenue, Wembley.
I’d like to take invite you all along; it’s an open public meeting and a chance to hear from, and ask a question, of the country’s most senior police officer.
I’ll be there to listen to your concerns and hope that I’ll be able to answer all your questions. The meeting starts at 6.30pm and will finish by 7.30pm.
I’m grateful to school staff for allowing us to use their facilities for the evening.
Feel free to drop in from 6pm onwards for some tea or coffee. I hope to see some of you there on the evening.”