Brent police officer rewarded for saving man in Hemel Hempstead
- Credit: Archant
PC John Murray was working out in his gym when another member’s heart stopped
A police officer from Brent who saved the life of a man who collapsed at his gym has been recognised for his actions.
PC John Murray was Anytime Fitness in Hemel Hempstead when he rushed to the man’s aid after his heart suddenly stopped.
The officer carried out CPR and used a defibrillator until paramedics arrived.
The man was rushed to hospital where he underwent emergency heart surgery.
You may also want to watch:
Last week he received a Royal Humane Society Resuscitation Certificates from the Met Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe alongside Michael Stewart, the manager of the gym.
PC Murray said: “I noticed a young man on the gym floor surrounded by staff and realised he was in serious trouble. His face was blue and he wasn’t breathing. My training kicked in and I quickly asked the staff to get me some first aid equipment so I could help him.
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 5 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 8 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 9 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 10 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
“It was a humbling experience and the whole incident caused me to reflect on my own life. When I was younger my older brother died after choking, I didn’t know how to help him.
“This time I was able to help someone and safe his life. I still stay in regular contact with him and his family to this day.”
Mr Stewart said: “I initially froze for a few seconds before putting the man into the recovery position. I was very glad when PC Murray stepped in and we worked together to administer first aid. I had never come across anything like this before and I hope I never do again.
“I am happy to say the young man made a full recovery and I regularly see him back at the gym.”