Brent MP Dawn Butler jokes about giving the prime minister a New Year’s ‘slap’ and plans to “kick ass” in 2016
- Credit: Archant
The MP for Brent Central has revealed she is planning to “kick ass” in 2016 and has joked that her constituents would like to see her give David Cameron a “slap” in a wide-ranging New Year’s interview with the Times.
The Labour MP for Brent Central made the remarks during a full-length interview reflecting on the highs and lows of 2015 and her hopes for Brent residents in this week’s Times.
Following a series of remarks blasting the Prime Minister for failing to “stand up for Brent people” and claiming Conservative ministers “don’t care about our kind of people”, Ms Butler jokes that if she had one minute with the prime minister she would: “run a competition for my constituents to suggest what to do. I guess some will say “Give him a slap – that will tell him what we think”.
Outlining her wishes to tackle residents’ concerns over housing, fuel poverty and the government’s immigration policy, Ms Butler railed: “with their friends in the media they get away with so much but I can do my bit to challenge the unfairness and injustice they create. I have no doubt it will be a tough year.”
Speaking of her intentions to drive forward her “pre-pay rip off” campaign against high energy meter costs alongside renewed efforts to curb zero hours contracts the MP said: “I am looking forward to kicking ass in 2016.”
You may also want to watch:
Known for her plain-speaking style, the MP became an internet sensation in July after a viral video showed her asking Sky News Presenter Kay Burley “what is wrong with you?!” and collapsing into giggles as she faced down a grilling over her backing of Jeremy Corbyn in the Labour leadership race.
To read the full interview see this week’s edition of The Times out on Thursday.
- 1 Two arrested in connection with fatal Neasden stabbing
- 2 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 3 Man dies after stabbing in Brent
- 4 Fourteen fined for lockdown breach after car meet in Park Royal
- 5 Brent councillor calls for improved social distancing in supermarkets
- 6 MP Dawn Butler: Support available to get through lockdown
- 7 Dozens 'found breaching Covid restrictions' at shisha cafe
- 8 Wembley tutor takes to Instagram to help with homeschooling
- 9 'We need you to stay at home' - Northwick Park Hospital
- 10 Woman dies after she was found collapsed in Barham Park